The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Madonna or Patti? 

Who was a better Evita, Madonna or Patti LuPone?
Patti LuPone 66%  66%  [ 47 ]
Madonna 34%  34%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 71

Madonna or Patti? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Madonna. Maybe it's just because I saw the movie before I heard the stage musical... but I've always preferred it. Especially "Buenos Aires".

Acted: Blazing guns at Roaring Gulch (Dora)

Directed: The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds

Trying out for: Lolita

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:01 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I think they both had their strengths and their weaknesses... definitely Madonna's voice was not up to the part as-written but I liked her slightly more demure, vulnerable Eva. However, I seriously dislike Patti's acting and I only like some of the songs from the show in her voice.

I think "A Waltz for Eva and Che" explains beautifully how Eva should be portrayed- by that I mean fallible, lead by suggestion/mass opinion at times and having a desire to be needed/"loved" . I think the show has things intentionally written in to make her very human. It makes Eva more real to give her a characterization that the audience can at least, to a point, sympathize with.

Every human being has a "good" side, no one is purely evil... de-humanizing someone by seeing them as pure evil so that we can put them and their actions into a category we are able to understand and handle does not change this fact. Please don't mistake this for my condoning either Eva's or Hitler's actions- I am simply saying that to play Eva as pure evil with no sympathetic qualities would be less realistic. By the same token, if Eva is "likeable" as an overall character. then perhaps that might be taking it too far the other way.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:27 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan

I saw the film recently again years after I last saw it and was surprised how disappointed I was with Madonna's performance. I won tix to the film's world premiere at the Shrine Auditorium in L.A. and loved her performance at the time. I think all the hype and the excitement at attending such an event clouded my judgement cause she really does a generally poor job, unfortunately. Her eyes are dead and she seems to think crying = great acting. I wouldn't say she is absolutely terrible, but she does leave much to be desired.

At the time, I wasn't too impressed by Antonio's performance. But now I think he's one of the best things about the film.

Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:30 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Patti, no contest. Madonna was fine, but Patti just has the power for Eva. Although Madonna's 'Lament' is amazing.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:53 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I hated Madonna's take on the character. She pretty much took the role for no other reason than to enhance her sweet, angelic vulnerable little girl image rather than playing Evita the way she actually was.

Evita was a woman of steel and charisma. She was certainly not an evil person by any means, but she was not wimpy.

Oh, and Madonna CANNOT BELT. (though she did a good job on "You Must Love Me"---but the song was written for her voice)

Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:05 pm

Main Role: Performer
Eva is evil...well maybe not totally evil but she is a vile. corrupt,racist.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Elena was the best. She should be on this poll!!!

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:28 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

LuPone. While she may not have been the first actress to play the role, she really did cement the original Broadway production of the show for the ages. Her cast is definitive, in my opinion.

Madonna did an admirable job considering her acting...strengths (?), but Eva is one of those roles that should not be played for sympathy under any circumstances. Patti's Eva is enigmatic, untouchable, and by the end of the piece you still don't really have a grasp on the inner workings of her character and I think that's the point.

I mean, come on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9nbX2NY23Q

vs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PXSE-Ti0rg

No comparison.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:04 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think most of the younger generation will vote for Madonna. The rest of us "old times" who grew up on Patti and Elaine will vote for Patti.

As as for Che, though I thought Antonio did an absolutely fantastic job, he doesn't hold a candle to Mandy. Very few people do, IMO.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:38 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:47 am

LuPone. Hands down. She is dynamite in the role and, as Dawn said, she owns it and always will.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Team Starkid,Assassins,Elisabeth, Spring Awakening
Main Role: Performer
absolutely Patti. I must confess that I liked Patti more in other roles but Madonna just sucked in my opinion. I can't watch her version, it makes me want to cry (in a negatif way).

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3