The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Che and Eva as historical characters 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Che and Eva as historical characters
Much as I love Antonio Banderas (I can't deny that he's a seriously sexy man), I am very disappointed that in the movie he is portrayed as a random narrator, not as Che Guevara. I think one of the most intriguing things about this show is the fact that it is a biography (with artistic liberties taken, but not to too great an extent) of a woman with a narrator who was a real person (Che Guevara) very much opposed to everything she stood for, and yet the show does not come off as an Eva-bashing extravaganza. Nor does it glorify her. I think the juxtaposition of the characters of Che, Eva, and Juan end up portraying her very humanly-- she did some good things for her country, and she did some terrible things to her country, but there is no denying that she was an incredibly strong and passionate woman.

(Although Che wasn't actually around at the same time, but whatever. You can time travel people a bit, if they are connected and are going to further the story)

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:01 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I thought that the character "Che" was not really Che Guevara but if anything, a Che Guevara type of character, ie based on but not supposed to be him. You are right that Guevara came on the scene, in a political sense, (he was trained as an MD) after Eva's death. I think the show does intend to Eva bash as it shows her desire to use people, circumstances, and the public to rise to power. No small feat for a woman in the male dominated Latin culture.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:52 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The original Narrator for EVITA was supposed to be her hairdresser. Rice then read about Che and gave him the hairdressers part.

I can't remember who the Hairdressers name was, though...

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I think that ALW and Tim Rice did a really great job of keeping the show impartial. While it shows Eva's life basically through Che's eyes, they don't show Eva as some horrible human being. I think there is a great balance. I mean, there are parts of the show when I think "God, Eva was such a conniving little sneak," but there are times when I think "Wow, I feel bad for her, she really IS a good person."

I don't know, I just think it's balanced to let the audience decide who they think is right. (or if they think either side is right.)

i want much more than this provincial life...

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

"from 17 to 24 my country bled, crucified"

Unless i'm mistaken that was the historical Che's ages during the peron regime.

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:26 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I like the idea of Che as the the skeptical everyman. I think it's much more interesting and allows a much looser interpretation of the role. My own personal interpretation of the role is that he is, in a way, Eva's conscience (I think the waltz specifically hightlights this), and the part of her who is still just a nobody.

Making him Guevara always seemed forced to me. Like they went "Hey...he was from Argentina and opposed Peron...let's put him in there!".

Last edited by AndrewShatterhand on Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:50 pm

Current Obsession: Fanfiction - CATS
Post Some Historical Facts...
Che - Born 14 June 1928 & died 9 October 1967
Eva - Born 7 May 1919 & died 26 July 1952.

To begin with, Che is 9 years younger than Eva, and would have only been 17 when Eva married Juan Peron, and 18 when Peron became President. At Eva's death, Che would have only been 24. Both were born in Argentina, but that is were the similarity stops...

According to his biography, Che (Ernesto Guevara) attended the Universty of Buenos Aires in 1948 for medical studies. In 1952, he participated in a riot against Peron, but this is AFTER Eva's death... In 1953, Che became his nickname while in Guatamala...

CHE did not historically belong to the story of Eva Peron. But, when I viewed the character in the musical EVITA, I believed him to be the "voice of the people", a role that Antonio Banderas as Che did in the movie. Che eventually became recognized as a revolutionary in Latin and South America, and could have easily represented the turbulent years during the Peron Presidency in Argentina. I go along with the concept that Che in EVITA is an "Everyman" character.

Respectfully submitted,
Rumblepurr.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Some Historical Facts...
Rumblepurr wrote:
Che - Born 14 June 1928 & died 9 October 1967
Eva - Born 7 May 1919 & died 26 July 1952.

To begin with, Che is 9 years younger than Eva, and would have only been 17 when Eva married Juan Peron, and 18 when Peron became President. At Eva's death, Che would have only been 24. Both were born in Argentina, but that is were the similarity stops...

According to his biography, Che (Ernesto Guevara) attended the Universty of Buenos Aires in 1948 for medical studies. In 1952, he participated in a riot against Peron, but this is AFTER Eva's death... In 1953, Che became his nickname while in Guatamala...

CHE did not historically belong to the story of Eva Peron. But, when I viewed the character in the musical EVITA, I believed him to be the "voice of the people", a role that Antonio Banderas as Che did in the movie. Che eventually became recognized as a revolutionary in Latin and South America, and could have easily represented the turbulent years during the Peron Presidency in Argentina. I go along with the concept that Che in EVITA is an "Everyman" character.

Respectfully submitted,
Rumblepurr.

While I do not disagree with what you have said about him representing the common person of Argentina at this time, the lyrics at various times do reflect upon the real Che as mxmietlicki pointed out with the "from 17 to 24...." quote. While the historical Che was involved in the riots against Peron (which occurred after Eva's death as you had stated) this does not mean during her life he sat by with no observations as to what was occuring in his country around him. Its probably quite the contrary, as the character Che in Evita represents. An observation to the Peron era, in specifics to the time in which Eva was the first lady.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:52 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In his autobiography "Oh What A Circus," Tim Rice writes that the Che character was never intended to be the Che of history.

Che was supposed to have been the random narrator that the film (and now the revival) has.

Hal Prince insisted on making the "Che" part into Guevara.

Che actually means "guy," or "friend," or "bloke."

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I do believe that there's a good chance he was intended to be the historical figure. The lyrics suggest it: not only the "from 17 to 24" line, but also some of the lyrics to "The Lady's Got Potential" on the original studio album:

But Eva's not the only one who's getting the breaks
I'm a research chemist who's got what it takes
And my insecticide's gonna be a best-seller

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:26 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yes, but Prince insisted that Rice axe the whole bug killing thing, because it was a distracting subplot.

Rice has stated that Che was only supposed to be an ordinary guy, not the historical one.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

While it was originally intended for Che not to represent the historical figure, the original intent, for the most part, has been ignored.

In almost every production of Evita that I've seen, the direction makes it quite clear who he is or at least what he is in representation for. I also think many theatre goers who are versed in history hear the name and make associations on their own. Regardless of Tim Rice's original intent. It seems all but dead and ignored in most productions.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next