Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer

Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:22 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Salome wrote:
Pannic wrote:

My problem is that I feel that the character of Eva isn't particularly sympathetic... I mean, JCS managed to strike a perfect balance, but with Evita, you mainly have Che being snarky and throwing her down at every turn.

eva being unsympathetic isnt a problem its an asset. if you were to write a musical on hilter would you make him loveable.
There are still people today in Argentina who greatly admire the Perons. There are numerous political parties that identify themselves as Peronists.

and those people are as scary as neo-nazis.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Pounce wrote:
Musically, I think JCS is ALW's best but Evita is up there. But I'm not happy how either show ends. They sort of end on a "wimper" leaving me feeling unfulfilled. CATS has a big finish and Phantom has an ending leaving the audience with chills. Evita just sort of....ends. There might be some sort of artistic meaning intended but to me the most important element of musical theater is ENTERTAINMENT. Evita is a great show but "the ball is dropped" musically at the end.

(snip)
The original album ending, although quiet, is a dramatically effective ending. It takes guts to end a musical quietly. Nearly always producers will insist on a big bang finish, on a tune the audience can hum as they leave. However, quiet endings, when done well, can be the most effective.

We've seen the big public side to Evita's death with the funeral that opens the show. So at the end, we see the private side, as the woman dies, reflecting on her ambiguous life. They balance each other perfectly.

Likewise with the film - you go to that wide-shot of Eva's body in state and the massive queues.

Yeah - I'm playing the DVD a lot currently.

Sun May 24, 2009 11:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3