The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
This is Webber's BEST SHOW BAR NONE 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post This is Webber's BEST SHOW BAR NONE
I'm actually not a big fan of ALW, but I think Evita is absolutely brilliant and inspired. Phantom is good, but can't hold a candle to this one. What do you think?

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:55 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Musically, I think JCS is ALW's best but Evita is up there. But I'm not happy how either show ends. They sort of end on a "wimper" leaving me feeling unfulfilled. CATS has a big finish and Phantom has an ending leaving the audience with chills. Evita just sort of....ends. There might be some sort of artistic meaning intended but to me the most important element of musical theater is ENTERTAINMENT. Evita is a great show but "the ball is dropped" musically at the end.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:37 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: This is Webber's BEST SHOW BAR NONE
Yeslek wrote:
I think Evita is absolutely brilliant and inspired.

I agree. To me, the most important element of musical theatre is making people reflect and thereby expanding and nuancing their emotional capasity and their horizon of meaning and understanding. Directed the right way, Evita is ALW's best show, satirizing the effects of confusing politics with show business. JCS does put a critical light on religion and Christianity while S&D is a cornucopia of hummable tunes - Evita has both. It features also the best lyrics written for any ALW show.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:16 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Musically, I think JCS is ALW's best but Evita is up there. But I'm not happy how either show ends. They sort of end on a "wimper" leaving me feeling unfulfilled. CATS has a big finish and Phantom has an ending leaving the audience with chills. Evita just sort of....ends.

To quote Che from the show: "Forgive my intrusion,"

1) Eva Peron's LIFE sort of... ends. Did you want a resurrection?

2) How does JCS make the audience feel "unfulfilled"? The audience is supoosed to ask the question like "was Jesus the Son of God or not?" JCS is supposed to be thought-provoking and piss people off.

Both prinicipal characters die in their respected stories/shows. I don't know of any story that ends with a character dying being a big bang ending.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Pounce wrote:
Musically, I think JCS is ALW's best but Evita is up there. But I'm not happy how either show ends. They sort of end on a "wimper" leaving me feeling unfulfilled. CATS has a big finish and Phantom has an ending leaving the audience with chills. Evita just sort of....ends.

To quote Che from the show: "Forgive my intrusion,"

1) Eva Peron's LIFE sort of... ends. Did you want a resurrection?

No. That would make the show's end very confusing.

Quote:
2) How does JCS make the audience feel "unfulfilled"? The audience is supoosed to ask the question like "was Jesus the Son of God or not?" JCS is supposed to be thought-provoking and piss people off.

Well, I didn't say that the audience feels "unfulfilled". I can only speak for myself and I didn't find the end satisfying. Les Miz has a satisfying ending where it sort of sums up what the show is about. JCS left me sort of hanging. The issue of the show didn't seem to leap out at me and even if I grant that it did, the show left me with the question but not the tools with which to decide.

Quote:
Both prinicipal characters die in their respected stories/shows. I don't know of any story that ends with a character dying being a big bang ending.

Les Miz of course. In some ways Miss Saigon.

And the resurrection of Jesus would give JCS a bang ending (works for a lot of movies about Jesus :P ) but the show could still use Caiaphas and the Sanhedron to cast doubt that it really happened. But even without a resurrection they might have thought of a stronger ending. For Evita, I'd have liked the Evita fanfare at the end at least.

For me, musical theater should follow a similar rule that stand-up comics follow of leav'em laughing or in the case of musical theater, leav'em in emotional song and/or music.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:29 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think that defeats the purpose of the shows.

JCS isn't about the Ressurection of Christ, because Judas is telling the story and doesn't believe that Jesus is God or the Son if God or whatever.

The whole point of JCS is Judas asking "Who are you? Tell me, now!! I want to believe in you, but I can't."

Having the resurection of Christ in Superstar is contradictory to Rice's libretto: "He's a man. He's just a man."

EVITA follows the same kind of idea: short life, die unexpectedly, leave legacy.

The story of Eva Peron is so bizarre, I don't even know where to begin.

Having never seen the show, I can't comment. But from the book and the music and the movie, the structure of the opera makes sense to me. We're not supposed to feel satisfied, because - even in death - Eva wanted to live forever... thus, her being embalmed hours after she passed away.

I would rather leave a show with a sense of "Holy sh!t" or crying or whatever than singing tunes.

I still can't shake the ending of CABARET when I saw the 2002/2003 Canadian/US tour. I was so scared. I was pinned to my seats with fright for 15 minutes. As I left the theatre, I was looking over my shoulder... to see if I was being chased by Nazi's.

I digress...

I forgot what I was going to say next.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Yeslek wrote:
I'm actually not a big fan of ALW, but I think Evita is absolutely brilliant and inspired. Phantom is good, but can't hold a candle to this one. What do you think?
I absolutely agree, ALW tends to have 1 or 2 great songs and then the rest just keep the show going, but in Evita this is not the case, everything is awesome

Wed May 09, 2007 12:02 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I really like Evita, and I agree, the lyrics are amazing, especially in Rainbow High...."so Machiavell me" etc. GENIUS.

Currently: a nurse in South Pacific

Thu May 10, 2007 2:12 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Dvarg wrote:
Yeslek wrote:
I think Evita is absolutely brilliant and inspired.

I agree. To me, the most important element of musical theatre is making people reflect and thereby expanding and nuancing their emotional capasity and their horizon of meaning and understanding. Directed the right way, Evita is ALW's best show, satirizing the effects of confusing politics with show business. JCS does put a critical light on religion and Christianity while S&D is a cornucopia of hummable tunes - Evita has both. It features also the best lyrics written for any ALW show.

Perfectly put. 8)

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

A lot has been said to the tune of "JCS presents Jesus as having been just a man, no more." Actually, I think one could say the opposite as well. The beauty of the show is that no matter who you are or what your beliefs are, you'll be able to see both sides in the show, and come away feeling that you wouldn't have any objection to what you just saw. Nothing in it, other than the personal beliefs of individual characters, points one way or the other.

Mary Magdalene's statement that "he's just a man" isn't in relation to Jesus's divinity, but to his genitalia, and referencing her infatuation with him in comparison to the men she's had physically, but not emotionally.

Pilate, one of the most psychologically complex characters in the piece, is given a prophetic dream about the arrival of the mysterious Jesus, but in person is unable to justify sparing him due to his own politically unstable position.

Judas, the ultimate skeptic in life, returns as the specter of agnosticism, not denying Christ but begging him for answers and closure.

Even Jesus seems resigned to being the son of God, wishing to escape his destiny but unable.

Every character is justifiable in a "Jesus is God" standpoint as well as a "Jesus was a man" standpoint. The fact that the play ends where it does leaves it up to us, not the play, to tell us the final ending. While atheists and agnostics see it as a powerful play about the damaging forces of organized religion and politics, many Christian groups do the play as the more powerful alternative to Godspell, as it, much like The Passion confronts the larger issues of brutality, choices of faith and doubt, and the ultimate sacrifice.

Read into it what you will, but neither side is absolute.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I personally think Aspects of Love and Sunset Boulevard are his best work. Cats, Starlight Express and Joseph are easily his worst. Ugh!

I quite like Evita though. Jesus Christ Superstar doesn't really do anything for me and Phantom of the Opera is quite bad but it's a quilty pleasure of mine :wink:

Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:01 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I personally think Aspects of Love and Sunset Boulevard are his best work. Cats, Starlight Express and Joseph are easily his worst. Ugh!

I didn't enjoy JCS, so I shudder to think what Joseph must be like, especially after what you just said! Nevertheless, I'll be viewing it soon. I've never seen it before. I also agree with what you say about Cats: I wasn't into that one very much either.

As for Evita, yes, it probably is ALW's best musical. Sunset Boulevard is my personal favorite, and there isn't a single song on that soundtrack that I don't like. I like all but a couple of the songs from Evita, but the quality and power in the individual songs of Evita outshine those of Sunset, so while Sunset insists on remaining my favorite (because I like the story better, for one), Evita is more than likely the actual best.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next