She was a wonderful person 100%  100%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 14

What do you think of Eva? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: Kerry
Quique wrote:
He's the best choice for me.

But the detailed outlining of his plans and promises and constant focus on Bush's mistakes, worries me.

My worry is that there really isn't any detailed outline to Kerry's campaign. His platform thus far essentially consists of "I'm not Bush!" I personally have faith in Kerry's skill as a politician, but if he doesn't improve his rhetorical abilities, he is going to have a bitch of a time trying to implement whatever his policies actually are once he gets into office. (Assuming he even makes it that far.)

And Gerald wondered.

Fri May 28, 2004 1:23 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I love having a place to go and debate politics without people judging me for who I am and what I look like. Too bad we're all stuck in late 40's Argentina.

Fri May 28, 2004 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Post Stuck
Yeah, I know it seems we are all basing modern politics on Eva's Argentina, but we're not. Since the legend of Eva Peron has a lot to do with politics, we just got a bit off topic, that's all.

Anyway, "Fontinau" I'm with you, and that's why Kerry worries me. Not like it's causing me an ulcer or anything like that, hehe. I'm not usually one who even discusses politics, but this year's race has caught my attention. I also am tired of seeing so much violence, senseless death and scandal. That has naturally made me notice this year's run for the White House, more than ever before.

I'm actually more focused on promoting the Latin vote. We have been called "The Sleeping Giant", due to low Hispanic voter turn-out. I'm definitely going to look into getting involved and doing my part to make this election one that will have a large Hispanic voter turn-out. As long as I can help the turn-out, by merely an additional single vote, it'll be worth it. Though, on a recent news report, they said the Latin voter turn-out has been steadily increasing over the last few years.

I honestly don't know why it's so low time and time again. It's not as simple as laziness or lack of American pride, I think the high corruption in Latin American politics has made most Latins turn resentful towards the whole process. I hope things are different this election, as we can make a big difference on the turn-out.

Once the Hispanic vote gains value in turn-out, maybe more of my communities needs will be heard.

Sorry for getting even more off topic (heehee). I tend to write whatever is on my mind at the moment, hehehe. :?

I'm still voting for Kerry, even if he looks too good to be true.

:)

Sat May 29, 2004 8:04 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Sun May 30, 2004 2:35 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Post Huh?
((Tries to figure out if "Megan the Phantom Girlie" was being sarcastic or friendly. Suddenly spots the little smiley face she posted at the end of her post, he assumes she is friendly, heehee.))

:)

Sun May 30, 2004 7:04 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: George Duarte de Peron
Quique wrote:
[color=darkblue]She was human, she made mistakes.

As I've said before, this is an inadequate defense. Why don't we defend everybody who screws up with that line? There's mistakes and there are mistakes. I'm not so sure I accept that Eva didn't have clear knowledge of what she was doing...and the scope of her mistakes impacted a lot more people .

Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:26 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Has anyone read the book about Hilary Clinton that just came out? I believe it was titled "The American Evita" or something of the sort...I would be very interested to see what people thought of it in comparison to Eva.

I could write sooooo much on this topic, but much has already been said. I've come to the boards too late...lol. But in conclusion, I believe there was a ying-yang balance to Eva, much like there is to all. As Anne Frank once said, "In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Eva was a woman driven by her ambitions and gut-wrenching need to break free from her desolate background. Not making excuses for her...she DID make some bad choices (especially involving the Nazi regime)..but I still believe her to be a good person who made bad choices and put herself first many times.

Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:49 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I haven't read all the posts. I read only the first, and last page. So, i apologise if i am repeating what has been said.

I haven't seen the show on stage, but i have the highlight with Elaine Page, and David Essex. I have seen the movie, but only when they put it on TV.

Vocally, i think there is no comparisson...Page and Essex are by lightning years better than Madonna and Banderas. I thought the movie was more sympathetic to Eva, but i am not surprised by that.

As for what i think of Eva...well, as many said, she had her good, and bad sides. On the whole, i think she was better than others in her position. She has done some really good things, but she made bad things as well.

I am actually sympathetic with her early life, even her manipulations to get to the top one can understand. But, i am not willing to turn a blind eye to some of her deeds once she was in power with her husband.

Either way, i think it is an excellent musical...my favourite ALW show.

..... after reading Enrique's post i like to add this:

I think Enrique is quite right about her using those men...most, if not all, of these men deserved to be used.
I really don't have enough information about her relationship with Peron in terms of love, but i also think that he benefited great deal from her. In other words...with her charisma she could probably helped anyone to power...while he probably couldn't get power without her.

But, i also think that one must point out her mistakes clearly. Some were bad ones. Anyway...as most of you said...She wasn't neither a very bad, nor a very good person.

A final word: i would go 60%/40% in her favour.

Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I rather like Eva Peron as a person. Even despite the corruption. Think of her childhood. She probably had an underlying inferiority complex as a result of being labeled and avoided because of her family and the fact that she was a child born out of wedlock. She probably had a NEED to do whatever it took to make people love her and see her for HER, not her family circumstance. However, her constant need for power probably took her from her original motives. At least the 'descamisados' were happy for the most part during her reign.

Well, my answer makes sense to me. :roll:

Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:17 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

She was an incredibly powerful person, who did some great things, and some terrible things. .

The terrible things - it is known that some anti-Peronistic telephonist women were tortured with electricity in the vagina - but it isn't known if Eva knew about it - or how she felt about it. Perhaps, as a women herself, she could identify better with the victims.

Eva, by some means, was powerless - the people wanted her to be vice president, she wanted to, but Peron didn't. (The point that the army didn't want her is not as important as it is presented in the musical. Some officers disagreed about that because if Peron did before her, SHE would walk along the troops, an idea they didn't like. But it was irrelevant - and in those days, it was obvious that Eva wouldn't outlife Peron, she was ill, had metastases and close to die.)

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

She was from a lower class family ans shuinned by her "fathers" family... the misdle class. When she was an actress, sh was shunned by the other actresses. Eva actually asked one actress to have lunch with her and the actress retorted "I'd rather eat with my own class, thank you very much."

There were other instances like this.

When Peron came to power, Eva took it upon herself to get revenge on those who shunned her in the past. I say she had every right to do that. She drove people out of the country ("Gave us back our businesses - Got the English out"). Again, she had every right to do that. She had the power, so why not flaunt it?

She used people to get what she wanted. So what? You want to be a star, you want to be onstage, you want to be in politcs... you do whatever it takes to get there. She got what she came for... big deal. Why is that such a bad thing?

It's not how you play the game; it's whether you win or lose.

Did she use Peron? Of course she did. That was a wise decision on her part. You're on the arm of a political power, and they win the Presidency. If you have any ambition at all, you will take that power and use it to your own advantages.

Did she love Peron? Probably. Did Peron love her? I don't think so. I think he married her for political reasons, BUT it soon came clear that she was in control, not him.

I love Eva Peron, because she saw a goal and went for it. She didn't care about hurting people along the way. If you got in her way, you were bound to get hurt.

Anyone who sets a goal, knows they have to use people in order to get what they want.

Prove me wrong

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

This past fall, a local theatre did a production. In the program notes, the director mentioned knowing an Argentine girl who claims her grandparents adored Eva, her parents were skeptical of her, and she (the girl herself) and her friends thought the Perons ruined the country.

That's three different viewpoints among three different generations of one family. No wonder Eva still inspires debate.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next