Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
What do you think of Eva? 

What do you think about Eva?
She was a wonderful person 100%  100%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 14

What do you think of Eva? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

A selfish person would not freely hand out money, trips, hospitals and houses to the poor, and on a daily basis.

Then therein lies the question. Is it selfish if you take as much for yourself as you do for the poor- and the victims are undeserving of the money anyway?

Tue May 25, 2004 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Post OK.....((rolls-up his sleeves))...
I have some questions for all of you......

A.) What's in the history books on Eva?????

B.) Does it say she was an opportunistic whore?

C.) Does it state she was definitely a saint?

D.) Or does it state something in between, without ever really being clear?

BINGO! if you selected "D", you're right on!

Evita is a victim of the evil press, specifically the British. They have always been against her, from day one. Tim Rice first came to know about her in a BRITISH radio documentary which clearly asked the question if whether she were a sinner or saint. This element was what made Tim even consider a musical on Eva Peron.

Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber uses the same format he uses in Evita, in his earlier work of "Jesus Christ Superstar". Webber just loves to question everything, he does so through Judas and Che.

Thousands and thousands of years of records and believers is the only reason "Superstar" isn't another Evita, with a narrator who is basically there to dissect the poor protagonist and tear him/her apart for the sake of making a musical work, making it interesting and intriguing.

Lloyd Webber uses the same format so many times, it's becoming wearing.

No credible source has ever revealed Eva to be a true bitch. What on earth do these people want a dirt-poor girl from a small pueblo to do? It's almost outrageous the accusations she has faced even after her death. She has definitely rolled in her grave more than once, the poor rotten corpse, hehe.

If I were dirt-poor and a girl, using a dirty rotten pervert to advance myself wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Especially with the lack of opportunity and descrimination the poor has always historically faced and dealt with. I respect her for using these men, who were in turn using her (remember she was a kid) for perverted child sex. Come on now, give a teen-ager a bit more credit. If we called every teen-ager and young adult a whore for using the very vermin of society to get ahead, then we would have covered most of Hollywood and the world's governments.

If she were rich and one of those snotty British or Argentine socialites, it would have been a case of a spoiled brat. She lived in a damn shack for God's sake, people are so cruel to her.

The most outrageous thing of all are the accusations of her intentions after she went into la casa rosada. It is clearly documented that she was indeed very much in love with Peron, Peron was the one who treated her like crap and used HER for his own advancement. Everyone especially the British of the day, had the nerve to undermine an entire nation. Why? Simply because they are viewed upon as ignorant and it was the poor, remember? The poor has no position in society and their opinions are dirt. They are gullible and religiously obsessed. They are also Latin and dumb. That's the only reason the nation of Argentina and their love for Evita is simply thrown out the window, as a British produced musical taints the name of one of the century's most powerful, noble women.

Wed May 26, 2004 2:31 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Here is my history textbook on Eva:

Peron was helped greatly by his glamorous wife, Eva Duarte Peron. She had risen from poverty to fame as an actress. She used her position as Peron's chief aide and advisor to help the poor. She once said:

"I, a humble woman of the people, understood that it was my duty to take my place with the workers, with the decamisados."

She had clinics and child-care centers built and gave money to the sick and unemployed. To secure more votes for her husband, she helped women gain the right to vote. At the same time, she lined her own pockets and lived an extravagant lifestyle. Still, the decamisados adored their "Evita". "You, too, will have clothes as rich as mine," she promised the poor women of Argentina.

That seemed a fairly balanced portrayal, eh?

Wed May 26, 2004 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: OK.....((rolls-up his sleeves))...
Quique wrote:
That's the only reason the nation of Argentina and their love for Evita is simply thrown out the window, as a British produced musical taints the name of one of the century's most powerful, noble women.

Not to be entirely critical, but that's a rash generalization of an entire country which have citizens who adore and citizens who despise the Perons. Nor did the country really give Eva power through the means of the people's vote, she moreorless took.

She lived for the moment though, helping, but never really seeing the end to the means which was a bankrupt country.

Wed May 26, 2004 10:16 am

Post George Duarte de Peron
She was human, she made mistakes.

But some say those mistakes are evil, calculated and pre-meditated plans for the undertaking of a corrupt authoritarian role masked by good deeds.

If that is the case, then George W. Bush is the modern-day Evita.

Wed May 26, 2004 4:18 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Wed May 26, 2004 6:29 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: George Duarte de Peron
Quique wrote:

If that is the case, then George W. Bush is the modern-day Evita.

Actually, I've been saying for a while that presidential advisor/human neo-con propaganda machine Karl Rove has borrowed more than a few of his tactics from the Juan/Eva Peron playbook.

And Gerald wondered.

Wed May 26, 2004 11:10 pm

Post Karl Rover
Hmmm, I don't know about getting pointer's from the "Eva/Juan" one, but I wouldn't doubt Mr. Karl Rove extracting from Juan Peron's playbook.

Firm shirm, his past organization was no better than the mafia. True, he had a knack for his "advisory" skills, but I also smell a rat, hehehe.

But in the case of "Duh-bya", I think it's a good thing for us all that he has someone else doing his thinking for him. ANYONE but him! Well, at least until we elect a real leader, come November, bearing brains and all that good stuff.

Thu May 27, 2004 7:21 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: Karl Rover
Quique wrote:
Well, at least until we elect a real leader, come November, bearing brains and all that good stuff.

John Kerry? :?

And Gerald wondered.

Thu May 27, 2004 7:57 pm

Post Kerry
He's the best choice for me.

But the detailed outlining of his plans and promises and constant focus on Bush's mistakes, worries me.

I just don't trust politicians anymore, when was the last time we had a leader who truly cared for the nation? It's all about self-interest.

Fri May 28, 2004 5:20 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Kerry
Quique wrote:
I just don't trust politicians anymore, when was the last time we had a leader who truly cared for the nation?

That would have been around the same time the people still had a controlling factor in a democratic government.

Fri May 28, 2004 7:44 am

Fri May 28, 2004 11:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next