The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Alan Parker 

What is Alan Parker's coolest music-related film?
Fame 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
The Commitments 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Pink Floyd: The Wall 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9

Alan Parker 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Well, that and the prepared demos 8O

What prepared demos have you heard? Where? 8O

Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:46 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!

I generally am not impressed with Alan Parker as a director.

Neither am I. I find that his work often has too much "noise" and too little focus. And Evita, specifically, is most unsuccessful because of Parker's choice to ignore the dramatic shaping that Harold Prince gave to the concept recording. The second half of the film is a rhythmic and structural disaster.

Fontinau wrote:
WHY didn't the film makers hire Michelle Pfeiffer?!?

Jaded Mandarin wrote:
Well, there was a musical she did way back called Grease 2...

I don't think that any of the things that were wrong with Grease 2 had anything to do with Michelle Pfeiffer.

Dustin wrote:
"You Must Love Me".... was unnecessary with the exception of time length to the film.

I think the song was also an attempt to find an alternative to the "Montage" (as much as it was an attempt to get a Best Song Oscar nomination). Ultimately, I can't decide which would have worked better on film - but by that time, the movie had completely lost its drive and much of its logic because of the way that they rhythm of the material was destoyed by seemingly random shifts of blocks of action.

Fontinau wrote:
Much as I love "Another Suitcase in Another Hall", I agree that the show could do quite nicely without it.... I understand why it's in there - to give the actress playing Eva a rest before she belts out "A New Argentina" - but dramatically, it's dead weight.

I think it gives the audience time to breathe too. I like to think of the song as a kind of caesura, a moment when the audience can take stock of what has happened so far and shift their mindset for the rest of the first act. I also think it's important as the start of a sequence (which continues with "The Art of the Possible") where the audience is able to see the real consequences of and reactions towards Eva's action of living out her dreams.

Later days
David

Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:53 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

The film is GREAT. no doubr about it. Madonna did an excellente job, Alan Parker did it too as well as the rest of the cast and team.
the film is unique. it is a masterpiece...

Piano

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

:lol: Well, we can hope. . .but if there's rumors of Liza in Sunset Blvd, I would rather see Madonna. . .or worse Streisand 8O (but do you think Norma was really Jewish??)

Um... Glen Close is Jewish... isn't she? Look at the nose!

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I love the film version of Evita. It's beautiful and well filmed. It's a great sign of how films of musicals should be; close enough to the stage show to be considered an adaption but with enough of a cinematic touch to be considered a different animal.

Some have complained about the "music video" style in which it was shot and I really don't have a problem with it, it works.

I don't have a problem with Madonna either, she does fine for me. Antonio, while charismatic, isn't really the vocal powerhouse that I would want for Che, his voice is just too thin. I think that if the film was made a few years earlier, the late Raul Julia could've been a great Che.

I also love "You Must Love Me", it's a great heartfelt addition to the score without being screwing up the pace or seeming unnecessary.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:33 pm

Main Role: Performer
You Must Love Me, is totally out of character,it makes Eva too sympathetic. and that destroys any vestige of accuracy the film may have had before.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:25 am
Profile WWW

This prompted me to watch Madonna sing this on Youtube, at a glance there were only 2 versions available; one from the album with Phantom pics on it and one of her at the Oscars.

At the Oscars, it plainly shows that Madonna cannot act her way out of a paper bag. I prefer the track that is included in the movie (not on the soundtrack!). Emotions are visible/audible, a far superior performance.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I cry everytime I watch her Lament scene. It's so strong, and heartbreaking. I can't imagine how hard that must have been to do that scene.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2