Musicals.Net
http://musicals.net/forums/

Lack of amatuer productions?
http://musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=88777
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Apples2for10 [ Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Lack of amatuer productions?

I'm very surprised that this show is done so seldom nowadays in colleges or community theaters. What do you think this is due to? I asked a local director what he thought, and he said that it's because it's very heavy on male dancing (is it, though?) and most colleges/small theater communities rarely have that kind of talent just laying around.

Author:  hud [ Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lack of amatuer productions?

This is a predominated male show. It's hard to find men and if you can't find any men or not enough who are triple threats, do a show that has an equal amount of men and women in it.

Author:  Apples2for10 [ Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lack of amatuer productions?

hud wrote:
This is a predominated male show. It's hard to find men and if you can't find any men or not enough who are triple threats, do a show that has an equal amount of men and women in it.


What male roles need to be good singers and dancers?

Author:  Pannic [ Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lack of amatuer productions?

The Music Man comes to mind, though I admit I don't know a lot about dancing in shows. The Leading Player in Pippin also occurs to me, given Ben Vereen's performance.

Author:  Apples2for10 [ Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lack of amatuer productions?

Another theory I heard recently is that the score is really difficult to play.

Author:  hud [ Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lack of amatuer productions?

Apples2for10 wrote:
hud wrote:
This is a predominated male show. It's hard to find men and if you can't find any men or not enough who are triple threats, do a show that has an equal amount of men and women in it.


What male roles need to be good singers and dancers?

You would need an awesome quartet to sing "Heart" which is my favorite song. Also, you would need a great song and dance man to play Applegate who is the Devil.

Author:  RikerMRP [ Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lack of amatuer productions?

It's actually being done in nearby town's middle school right now. From what I've heard, casting was difficult due to the lack of boys and high concentration of females in the program. Some girls are cross dressing for male parts too

Author:  hud [ Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lack of amatuer productions?

This is what I mean. That school should have picked a musical which is predominatley female.

Author:  Set_Buildin_Dad [ Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lack of amatuer productions?

RikerMRP wrote:
It's actually being done in nearby town's middle school right now. From what I've heard, casting was difficult due to the lack of boys and high concentration of females in the program. Some girls are cross dressing for male parts too


My daughter did this in HS as well. The chorus has a lot of "pants" roles where the girls put their hair in a ball cap and wore baseball uniforms. The show was actually fun and turned out well.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/
Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php