The Resource For Musicals

Damn Yankees Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Alternative to Applegate producing cigarettes? 

Main Role: Fan
Post Alternative to Applegate producing cigarettes?
Out local HS is producing this play. I was talking to the director last night and he was asking me for any ideas about an alternative to Applegate producing lit cigarettes on demand. (Cigarettes aren't PC on HS campusses.) I was wondering what your collective experience in this area is. I'm sure this isn't the first time this issue has cropped up. As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:51 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

That's simply tragic. We had trouble with the cigarettes when our school put it on, but i guess as long as he didn't actually smoke it we could use it or something, so the guy who played our devil played it up that he was trying to quite and it was hilarious!

Anyway, could you remind me of where he uses the cigarettes (i remember he used one in the first scene with Joe Boyd, but i forget if there are lines there that wouldn't make sense if he pulled out something other than cigarettes, then besides that i don't remember when he used them). I remember he also used trick flowers at some point, but when exactly that was i don't recall.

That probably doesn't help very much but if you remind me where he uses the cigarettes i might be able to help you out more.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:57 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I think you can get fake cigarettes somewhere. Will your teacher let you use those?

As I recall, the line is something like "Nothing comes easy...except the old cigarette trick!" and he pulls out his lit cigarette. Perhaps he could conjure up a lit match instead (if you're allowed to have that onstage), changing the line to "Nothing comes easy...except fire" or something similar. Maybe he could then mime lighting a cigarette or something.

There's really no way to get the point across without using some kind of fire, real or simulated.

Sun May 25, 2008 10:58 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

When we did this we just altered the line to "Except the old handkercheif trick" And do some sort of trick with a handkercheif. (That was 4 years ago, I don't remember exactly what our Applegate did.

Once On This Island - Asaka, Mother of the Earth
Bye Bye, Birdie - Mrs. Peterson

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:45 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Cigarettes?
I remember when we did this during my Senior Year... The Director, got like a fake Cigarette, that was already burning and it smoked a bit too, and when the actor put his mouth on it and breathed in, it lite up more...

Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:50 pm
Profile YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Alternative to Applegate producing cigarettes?
Set_Buildin_Dad wrote:
Out local HS is producing this play. I was talking to the director last night and he was asking me for any ideas about an alternative to Applegate producing lit e cigarettes on demand. (Cigarettes aren't PC on HS campusses.) I was wondering what your collective experience in this area is. I'm sure this isn't the first time this issue has cropped up. As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Set_Buildin_Dad, I think the biggest problem is that after making an investment allocate of cash most individuals aren't willing to offer the product enough of a chance and think it should just do everything perfect right out of the box regardless of what type of tobacco they put through it.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]