The Resource For Musicals

Crazy For You Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Set design 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Set design
I am thinking of doing Crazy for you this spring. Can anyone help me with a simplistic set design? There are so many scenes, and I have a cranky set designer who doesn't want to do a lot of building. I can fly up to 3 drops. This is for a high school, and any help or ideas would really be appreciated! Camge :? :?

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:45 am

Main Role: Fan
I was the set designer and builder for our summer production of C4U. It was done with HS & Jr HS students. Our sets primarily consisted of flats on wagons for the most part. We used 3 wagons for the three exterior buildings and then turned them around for the saloon interior. Here are some photos of those sets:

We also built a car that could be danced on as well as conceal 12 showgirls behind it. It was a wagon with a platform and a car facade on it. The car turned out like this:

PM me if you'd like links to more pics or other ideas. There are a couple of other threads in this forum that contain other details as well.

SBD

Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:33 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Sets
Dear Set buildin Dad or any one else.... How did you do the little theater? The switch from backstage to the front of the hose seems daunting. Thank you for the photos, they were wonderful and very helpful! Cam

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:34 pm

Main Role: Fan
We tried to go minimalist as we had no flys, and limited wing space. In general, any interior theatre scene was done usng the stage as the set.

For the opening scene in Zangler's theatre, we used the bare stage with footlights along the back wall facing the audience. This was really simple, but an effective way to depict the setting. For the scene outside the Zangler Theatre, we dropped an illuminated sign that read "Zangler Follies". We didn't use any building facades.

Backstage at the gaiety theatre (only one scene) was also simple. We used the bare stage with costume racks as props. For the rehersal scenes (slap that bass), the bare stage with approprate props also worked.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:00 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Set_Building_Dad has already said it all, so I'll just back him. We had more money, fly space and automation, but the essence of the set was the same as what he's described. We had a billboard for the NY exterior with Zangler theater. Flats/sets that rotate between the exterior and saloon are key though, because there isn't much scene change music there.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]