The Resource For Musicals

Crazy For You Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Pictures and tips? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Pictures and tips?
Hey guys, my highschool is doing Crazy for You for our 'spring' musical. I'm a follies girl (which should be really interesting. I'm still sore after our first dancing rehearsal), but I'm also working on stage crew for the show. I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the costumes and/or the set. Also, if you have any suggestions for picking up the tap moves faster, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:46 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

We don't have set or costumes yet...our show isn't untl the end of Feb. But as far as tap dancing tips. If you haven't started rehearsing in your tap shoes, do so ASAP. We don't have our shoes yet...and wont until like another week...but they've had us tapping in normal heels...it keeps you from resting on your heel. I've been getting it a lot fast that way.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:15 am
Profile YIM
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

here are what the follies girls looked like in the show I did over the summer!

Bobby Child(me) & Follies girls in I can't be bothered now and nice work if you can get it costume

I Got Rhythm Follie Girls Costume

Entrance to Nevada Follie Girls Costume

Bobby Child- Crazy For You
Willard-Footloose
Srgnt. of Police- Pirates of Penzance

Current Role:
A Chorus Line
42nd Street-andy lee

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:26 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thank you so much. I don't think I need to do that much tap which means I won't need tap shoes, but practicing in character shoes would be helpful I guess.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:02 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

if ur a follies girl ur gunna be tap dancing in about 3 or 4 numbers! and its a lot of dancing! the only way to pick up the tap steps is just to practice for hours! tap dancing is not the easiest thing to do, it takes a while to get it!

Bobby Child- Crazy For You
Willard-Footloose
Srgnt. of Police- Pirates of Penzance

Current Role:
A Chorus Line
42nd Street-andy lee

Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:03 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Seans right. We are in all of the biggest numbers. We just finished can't be bothered now (the first number of the show). I've never tapped before in my life, and I'm having to flap-ball-change, shim-sham....everything. Now, I'm not on of the featured dancers, but I'm still required to do a good deal of dancing. Hours of practice is a must. We dance two and a half hours a night...but I'm going in for extra help.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:37 pm
Profile YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Yea, we just started meeting with the choreographer. So much dancing, so little time. Since my school is so big, we have a large cast. We have the regular follies girls who will have to dance a lot, but we'll only have to do some 'show' tap (as our choreographer calls it). We also have 'taps' who are the girls who actually can tap and do most of it. That's why I won't have to do as much tap as the others. I still have to practice a lot though. Thanks for the advice.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:48 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I wish I could show you the pictures from the show I did, but they are copyrighted. The costume people rented the costumes from another regional theater on the east coast. I got to tab all the shoes. If you want to learn about costumes and their design, spend an eight hour day in rentals.

Like the arts? Check out my new blog The Arts!!

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Although if I had to list the members of this forum whose sense of self-worth seems alarmingly dependent upon the constant sycophantic support of internet-based friends, I`d certainly run out of fingers. - Mumsytype

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:31 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Fan
Our summer theatre program did C4U last summer. I was the set designer and construction guy for the show. There are several scenes that need settings. They are: New York Street, Deadrock exterior, Lank's saloon interior, and Gaiety theatre interior.

We opted to go simple for the New York street scene. We dropped an illuminated sign down that read Zangler Follies and uses the bare stage as the street. One of the big challenges in this scene is Bobby's car. The car has to hide all the follies girls behind it, then have a door that opens that they all emerge through. The car also supports Bobby as he does part of the "Can't be bothered dance. We framed a rolling platform out of 2x4s and plywood, then painted a facade on it. The car turned out like this:

The street scene in Nevada was created using three flats on wagons, each painted to be a building exterior. the buildings were: Lank's Saloon, the Gaiety Theatre, and the Feed Store. the Theatre and the feed store were simply painted flats with 3d signage. The saloon featured a window and swinging saloon doors to enter and exit through. Here's a photo of two of the flats:

For the Gaiety Theatre interior we used the bare stage with a back mirror exposed.

The interior of the saloon was painted on the flip side of the flats that made up the town's exterior. We also used tables, chairs and made a free-standing bar. The saloon interior looked like this:

One of the fun scenes in the show is the "I've got Music" number. In the original show this scene featured dancers sliding on taps across corrugated tin siding. We decided to duplicate this using real steel siding that we attached to plywood for easier handling. It looked like this:

I have more stuff, but this post is already getting big. Feel free to ask any more questions you have.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:11 pm

Main Role: Fan
Yea, we just started meeting with the choreographer. So much dancing, so little time. Since my school is so big, we have a large cast. We have the regular follies girls who will have to dance a lot, but we'll only have to do some 'show' tap (as our choreographer calls it). We also have 'taps' who are the girls who actually can tap and do most of it. That's why I won't have to do as much tap as the others. I still have to practice a lot though. Thanks for the advice.

We had a lot of girls in the cast too, so we split them up. Some girls did "Can't be bothered" others did "entrance to Nevada" and still others did "Nice Work if You can get it". Everyone did "Slap that bass", I've got Rhythm" and "The real American folk song".

This is a great show and you will have a wonderful time doing it even though your feet probably ache right now. Everyone that did this show in our troup had a great time, and we had audience members who raved about how fun the show was.

highlight numbers that you must really do right in order for the show to come off are "What causes That" and "Naughty Baby".

Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Although if I had to list the members of this forum whose sense of self-worth seems alarmingly dependent upon the constant sycophantic support of internet-based friends, I`d certainly run out of fingers. - Mumsytype

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]