The Resource For Musicals

Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Meaning of scene: You have a good third husband... 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Meaning of scene: You have a good third husband...
I don't quite get the meaning of this whole scene (it's included on the recording of the 2006 revival). Could someone explain it to me please?

Here it is:
Robert: You have a good third husband, Joanne. He's a good man. Anyway, thank you for the evening. I'm glad I joined you. I was really feeling alone. A little depressed. I drank, but you really put it away tonight. Over the several times we've gotten together, I've had shameful hangovers, abominable. You made me do some permanent damage, (unable to hear: could be "what do you think of that?" or "you ever think of that?")
I don't know what to think of the fact that you only drink with me. That is... not unflattering, I guess. I hope I don't depress you. We have good times, and it's a hoot. Yeah. Whatever you say. What are you looking at, Joanne? It's my charisma, huh? Well, stop looking at my charisma.
Joanne: When are we going to make it?
Robert: I beg your pardon?
Joanne: When are we going to make it?
Robert: What's wrong with now?
Joanne: There's my place. It's free tomorrow, after two. Larry goes to his gym, then right to the office. Don't talk. Don't do your folksy routine with me. You're a terribly attractive man, the kind of man most women want, but never seem to get. I'll take care of you.
Robert: Who will I take care of?
Joanne: Well, did you hear yourself? Did you hear what you just said, kiddo?
Robert: I didn't mean that.
Joanne: I just heard a door open that's been stuck for a long time.
Robert: Like I had a l--
Larry: The check is paid. What's wrong?
Robert: Because I have looked at that. Marriage isn't all that, and what do you get for it? What do you get?
Larry: What happened?
Joanne: I just did someone a big favor. Come on Larry, let's go home.
Robert: What do you get?
Friends: Bobby... etc.
Robert: STOOOOOOOOOP!

Thank you!

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:08 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I think the intended meaning is that while Joanne is offering Robert a fling, what he actually wants now is a relationship involving some responsibility, despite its downsides. He wants a partner that brings out the best in him and that "needs" him. This is either the moment he starts to feel that way, or the moment he starts to acknowledge it. And Joanne sees this and goes "Oh well. Good for you. I'll leave you to your revelatory moment."

I think that throughout the show Robert is seen as somebody who doesn't like to reveal his feeings and desires, while Joanne is an incisive observer of such things. His opening speech is probably an awkward attempt to distract her from watching and analysing him.

Not sure if my answer is relevant to you - does that explain it, or is there something else about the scene that you don't get?

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:21 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Joanne is testing Robert. she never really intends to have a fling with him she wants to prove to him that he is ready.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:44 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Read the whole play. You can't understand a show just by listening to the cast recording.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Main Role: Fan
I agree with Joshua. This is the first show that I sat down with the recording and book and went through it. All the others I've watched filmed versions or seen the show or read synopsises and listened to recordings. I absolutly adore Company. I really didn't think I could love a Sondheim show more than Sweeney Todd, but this one might be it. Read it. Really. Incredible.

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
The 2006 Company was recorded and released on DVD so since this is the cast recording you own, sasquatch223, it seems convenient for you to get the DVD :).

Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Main Role: Fan
The 2006 Company was recorded and released on DVD so since this is the cast recording you own, sasquatch223, it seems convenient for you to get the DVD :).

Or watch it on Youtube. Or if you have Netflix it's one of the ones you can view online and you don't have to keep going to the next video like youtube.

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:14 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]