Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Differences in score between the OBC and the PBS broadcast 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Differences in score between the OBC and the PBS broadcast
I can only think of two, but I'm pretty sure there's at least a few more:
1) "Ladies Who Lunch" is in a different key
2) "Have I Got A Girl For You" is slower in the PBS version.

Can anyone think of any others?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:37 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I'm pretty sure they also raised "Marry Me a Little" for Esparza. Granted, it isn't even in the OBC. With that said, "Tick Tock" is also cut. And if you want to compare the 96 revival and the 06 revival, "Being Alive" is in different keys. It may be in an even higher key for Esparza... i don't listen to it much. The power in Esparza's voice definitely comes in his upper range. But I really don't think the key matters much. I think when directing a show, especially one like Company, Bobby should be cast based on his acting first and then the keys changed (slightly) to suit the actor's voice.

The main difference between the two is not just the size of the orchestra but the style of the sound. The OBC had a very quirky 70's sound. The 06 revival is more akin to a typical classic musical and is a tad contemporary.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:21 pm
Profile WWW

There are MAJOR differences in orchestrations...and a lot of little things that make a big difference...for instance in the 06 there is a pounding rhythm on the piano through the opening song that creates a moving forward feel and climactic feel whereas in the obcr that feeling is still there, although hidden under other stuff.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:25 pm

^Also, the 06 revival does the opening (Bobby Babababababa Bobby) a capella, whereas the OBC has that great opening bit of music with the strings and Tuba or Bass or some really low instrument.

As for the pulsing piano in the opening, that is very dependent on the way the pianist is playing it, but great emphasis is also added because of (as you mentioned) how few instruments are covering it.

It's funny. The orchestrations in both are SO different, yet I don't feel that one is better than the other, just better for the aesthetic of their production.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]