The Resource For Musicals

Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Company to air on PBS 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Other than Raul (Who was incredibly witty, sexy, and charming I feel) my favorite performance was Angel Desai as Marta. I just couldn't get enough of her. Plus her "Another Hundred People" was so pleasant to listen to! The next performer I took note of was Barbara Walsh's Joanne. Her "The Ladies Who Lunch" left a little bit to be desired in my opinion but overall I found her very engaging.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:32 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
I disagree. I found Barbara Walsh broyght an intense agony to ladies Who Lunch that hasnt been seen in the number before. it was truly chilling.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:43 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Walsh's "The Ladies Who Lunch" reminded me of the rendition I heard Patti LuPone sing. (Which, I suppose, can be perceived as either good or bad depending on your take of LuPone).

As for actors playing instruments - I didn't mind it so much in Sweeney Todd, and of course it works wonders in Cabaret, but at times during Company it got a tad distracting (not too much, just a little). I did actually like the fact there were no sets, reminiscent of Our Town in the sense were the audience is left to conjure up their own idea of how Bobby's apartment would look like, etc.

Overall, I was pleased with the taping, and there's no denying it's a great show. And I loved the Sondheim interview afterwards.

Quote:
Other than Raul (Who was incredibly witty, sexy, and charming I feel)

Raul is always incredibly witty, sexy, and charming. :wink:

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:56 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I did actually like the fact there were no sets, reminiscent of Our Town in the sense were the audience is left to conjure up their own idea of how Bobby's apartment would look like, etc.

I really loved the set (or lack of one) as well. It was very clean and classy.

Now that I think about it, "Classy" is the adjective I'd use to really sum this production up.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:07 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I recorded it last night and just finished watching the tape a few minutes ago... 'twas so amazing!
I can't wait for the DVD because my VCR did some odd things recording it - the picture would sometimes go all staticky and odd and sometimes the sound would cut out.
On the topic of the sound cutting out, what was the last line of April's monologue about the butterfly? The end of that line was one of the times the sound acted up... :(

Currently: nothing

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:23 pm
Profile WWW

Saw it last night, and taped it (until the tape ran out... right before "Being Alive"...)

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:27 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

The fact that the instruments were onstage gave the musical a cabaret feel (not that I've ever been to a cabaret show, this is a guess). The cabaret feel was enhanced by the simple, black costumes and mostly bare set. Marriage and relationships are an intimate topic and the intimate setting works wonderfuly.

The piano was used very effectively. I liked seeing Marta sing while sitting on top of the piano. I liked watching Bobby clumsily climb on top of the piano (emphasizing that he's still a boyish voyeur). I liked how the actor stopped playing the piano and closed the keyboard case just as Barbara Walsh was finishing "The Ladies Who Lunch."

I enjoyed seeing the actors walk around marching-band style in "Side by Side by Side".

I do agree that the instruments weren't good in all cases. I don't think they added anything to "You Could Drive a Person Crazy." I thought they were downright annoying in "Have I Got a Girl for You." Why would John Doyle have David (?) play the cello while singing "have I got a girl for you"???

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:12 pm

I had seen it before the airing but my opinions still stand the same after seeing it on PBS.

I adore Raul's Bobby. It's near perfection, in my opinion.

I really don't like Angel's Mart.
Not.
One.
Bit.

I like what's her face that played Joanne. It was different that Stritch's, that much is clear, although I didn't see Stritch perform it in the show so I really can't say too much besides for their songs.

I love the couple that played Harry and Sarah.

I really really really love the woman that played Amy.

Overall, I love this production and can't wait to get it on DVD.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

yeah i wasn't too crazy about some of the supporting cast but i absolutely loved Amy. I didn't like the Joanne at first but she really grew on me after awhile. I liked the April a lot too, especially in the whole butterfly monologue. But I thought Raoul was the best by far.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:45 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I loved it. I just hope the DVD is uncensored.

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

On the topic of the sound cutting out, what was the last line of April's monologue about the butterfly? The end of that line was one of the times the sound acted up...

I believe it's "I'm a living thing, too, you shithead!"

Sound "cut out" because it was censored. Bleh. I hope everything's intact on the DVD.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I really don't like Angel's Mart.
Not.
One.
Bit.

Why do you feel such strong dislike for her? Personally I found her performance wonderful.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next