The Resource For Musicals

Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Just got OBCR - question. 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Company OBCR Booklet wrote:
...This is the moment of self-truth (Being Alive), in which he, well, commits to commit.

(...Or doesn't. Until well into the Boston tryout, Company ended with another song, "Happily Ever After," in which Robert reaches exactly the opposite conclusion, deciding he's better off on his own. Prince could not have it. Sondheim, for his part, has called the "Being Alive" ending "a cop-out." You decide.")

Like I said, I've only listened to part of it, and I haven't researched it further yet. So what version is traditionally done?

Yeah, the show is never performed with Happily Ever After in the place of Being Alive, at least not legally.

I like Happily Ever After, and it'd be interesting if it were an optional ending somehow. It's recorded on the Marry Me A Little revue.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:56 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Has there been any answers as to what he wishes for at the end of the show, or is that still just up to the audience to decide?

Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:34 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Has there been any answers as to what he wishes for at the end of the show, or is that still just up to the audience to decide?

I guess it depends on the way the actor plays it and the minds of the audience.

When I saw Hugh Panaro as Bobby last year, we discussed this backstage after an interview and I wish I'd kept recording at this point. He said that, "You don't know what exactly he's wishing for...it could be a wife, a girlfriend, a boyfriend, a dog, for his friends to leave him alone, for new friends. He wishes for something..."

At that point, I said, "But that's for you to know and us to just wonder," and he nodded. Then we went back to talking about his dog, Soot.

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:54 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
he commits to commit but not to anyone in particular.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2