The Resource For Musicals

Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Another Hundred People 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Yes Robin..you hit the nail on the head. too many people think they know Company and all they know is the cast recording.

its kind of like the amazed looks I get when I say that Joanne and Larry have the strongest marraige in the play.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:29 am
Profile WWW

See, I disagree. I think it's a direct result of the plot - Marta is proving, as do all three of the "girls", why she isn't what Bobby ultimately needs, no matter how hard either of them try. She is showing that she has that veneer, that "city of strangers" feeling, with an underscore of yearning for vulnerability - but Another Hundred People just got off of the train.
I completely agree.
"It's a city of strangers,
Some come to work, some to play.
A city of strangers,
Some come to stare, some to stay.
And every day
Some go away"
Bobby is part of the some who come to work and stare, whereas Marta comes to play and stay.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Even Marta's hand motions (the sphincter joke) works with the song. I know the script is published in a Fireside Theatre edition, so everyone should read it.

While I have done the show, and have both cast recordings and the DVD, I haven't seen the revival. Did the script change significantly?

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:42 pm

I don't know. I'm really sad that they keep all the dialogue between Kathy and Bobby and April and Bobby during AHP, but the Bobby and Marta secene isnt there... and that's probably the funniest scene. Company is a great read. I'm very blessed that my library has all the major Sondheim librettos.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Mara wrote:
what_the_heck013 wrote:
Mara, well of course she has a reason to sing it... if it had no point, it wouldn't be there. While the musical IS about concept, it still has a reason to be.

Ok, sorry, phrased badly. I meant it wasn't as a result of something which had happened in the plot.

See, I disagree. I think it's a direct result of the plot - Marta is proving, as do all three of the "girls", why she isn't what Bobby ultimately needs, no matter how hard either of them try. She is showing that she has that veneer, that "city of strangers" feeling, with an underscore of yearning for vulnerability - but Another Hundred People just got off of the train.

I love this show.

Point taken. I have seen the show, but I certainly didn't pick that up. I felt like AHP came out of nowhere, I love the song but I just didn't get that extra level of meaning from watching the show.

Currently: a nurse in South Pacific

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Another Hundred People
Apples2for10 wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what this song means within the context of the show. .

What context? Remember this is "Company" we are talking about. The plot is totally non linear. It is during Marta and Bobby's piece. Marta is NOT trying to make Bobby relate to anything by singing the song (i forgot which one of you said that). She sings it because it is how SHE see's the world and the city she lives in. How everything is disconnected and she LOVES IT!! She is the wild crazy girl in his life and the song perfectly illustrates how a woman like that would think.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2