The Resource For Musicals

Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Company Revival to Close 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

pish123c wrote:
I dunno...in my opinion shows like "Company" and "Curtains" are just boring, formulated copies of other shows from the era. The people writing all this need to realize that they just aren't selling tickets anymore. The future is now.

Can you please name ONE show that was ANYTHING like "Company" when it premiered?

Company (((((looks for font)))) changed the landscape of musical theater when it premiered. It was and for the most part still is completely unique.

This is what I was trying to get across earlier Carion...*sigh*...people need to listen to us more! :razz:

Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:47 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Was anyone else at the closing performance?

Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:15 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

^
I have finally found my one true love...

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:24 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

crap like Wedding singer,Spring Awakening,Aida and Wicked are pulling it back down.

I refuse to accept the notion that Wicked and Spring Awakening are crap! Maybe they aren't the artistic statement made via Company, but certainly not crap! I know dozens of young people that have been inspired to become involved with theatre, and express themselves through the art of acting, and singing because of Spring Awakening and Wicked.

I do like Company... but I also like Wicked. They aren't mutually exclusive. Just because you don't like Wicked does not mean it is "pulling it [theatre] back down."

Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wow! I just re-read this thread and I can't believe how naiive and ignorant I was! I even just went back and edited all of the posts I made because of embarrassment! :lol: #-o

Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:33 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Salome wrote:
crap like Wedding singer,Spring Awakening,Aida and Wicked are pulling it back down.

I refuse to accept the notion that Wicked and Spring Awakening are crap! Maybe they aren't the artistic statement made via Company, but certainly not crap! I know dozens of young people that have been inspired to become involved with theatre, and express themselves through the art of acting, and singing because of Spring Awakening and Wicked.

I do like Company... but I also like Wicked. They aren't mutually exclusive. Just because you don't like Wicked does not mean it is "pulling it [theatre] back down."

I agree. I was first introduced to musical theater by my friend who loved Wicked. but now I've discovered many other musicals that are amazing.

^
I have finally found my one true love...

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:59 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde
Salome wrote:

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:02 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Salome wrote:

One should realize that Wicked and Spring Awakening are *original* musicals. That is far better than jukebox musicals like Mamma Mia and Jersey Boys which construct a story around the songs of some famous band. If anything is crap, it's jukebox musicals.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:49 pm

Main Role: Performer
they are still some of the worst dreck to hit new york since starlight eress.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

As annoying as it is to see popular fluff become hits on Broadway, I think that is what is saving the musical genre from becoming like opera. The only people who go to see opera in America are old people with money and there are hardly any new operas written anymore. There was a New York Times article recently about two men who basically sacrificed their lives for several years to promote their new opera.

Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2