The Resource For Musicals

Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Company Revival to Close 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Company Revival to Close
http://www.broadway.com/Gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=549516

The Broadway revival of Company is to close on August 1st...this is announced two days after winning the Best Revival of a Musical award at the Tonys.

Well? Thoughts?

I personally thought that it would at least run as long as the Sweeney Todd production...longer if it won the best revival...just goes to show you that doesn't really matter...course...the article says it has had less than 50% capacity lately...

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:28 pm

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/108757.html

Playbill says July 1st...

:(

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:33 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

A show like that just isn't what the majority of theatre-goers want anymore. The people get what they want, I suppose. :?

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:37 am

Yeah...crap and admittedly mindless fluff like Wicked and Tarzan and Legally Blonde...UGH!

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:52 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Last edited by pish123c on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:54 am

but come on...where are the classics!?
Company and several other musicals have reached a stage where they are no longer contemporary but not yet classic.

I'm not surprized that Company is closing. Maybe Doyle will learn his lesson. The idea is OLD.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Last edited by pish123c on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:14 pm

what_the_heck013 wrote:
pish123c wrote:
Company and several other musicals have reached a stage where they are no longer contemporary but not yet classic.

I'm not surprized that Company is closing. Maybe Doyle will learn his lesson. The idea is OLD.

I dunno...in my opinion shows like "Company" and "Curtains" are just boring, formulated copies of other shows from the era. The people writing all this need to realize that they just aren't selling tickets anymore. The future is now.

Company was extremely unique and modern when it first came out.

It is a much more mature show...it takes a certain taste to really get it. Now...it is not my favorite Sondhiem or anything...but I really like the music and the lyrics are just great. However, it is one of those shows that outside of its original time era...doesn't really fit. I mean, it opened up in 1970 and was considered the modern show. There is not a ton of story present so much as there are ideas.

I'm still disappointed that it is closing...and Jazzy I counted wrong...you're right...July.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm not surprized that Company is closing.

Seeing that it's a revival, neither am I. Revivals usually don't last that long. And to elaborate on Jazzy's post, Tarzan and Blonde will not be there much longer, so it's hardly worth worrying about. And I'm finally gonna ask (I respect the fact that this is the Company board, so if anybody wishes to PM me, feel free): Why does nobody here like Wicked?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:16 pm

Do I think it is the show of the decade? No.

Do I think it is worth the near relentless fuss that has been made over it? No.

However, it entertained me. If there was anything else required of for a musical I've never heard it.

My favorite shows are the ones that speak to me. Shows that really mean something. When I first saw Wicked nearly four years ago now it did blow me away a bit. HOWEVER, my knowledge of theatre and particularily musical theatre has expanded tenfold. Now that I have seen shows like Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods, Man of La Mancha, and 1776 and heard the recordings to Rex, Assassins, Parade, etc. I know now that there is much more to theatre than specticle. Not that spectivle is a bad thing. It gets people to the theatre right? It is getting to the point were theatre is like the movies. In the movies we want them to be able to do bigger and better things with the technology. The same is become of theatre. I mean, The Little Mermaid isn't going to move people the way that Les Miserables or Fiddler On the Roof does...but aren't we all interested as to how exactly they are going to pull off that production!?

So...that said...I don't think that shows like Company, Dear World, Assassins, 1776, etc. can really be appreciated until you, personally, are moved in a way you have never been moved before. When it happens...you know...and you know you will never be the same again. It happened to me, that's for sure.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:25 pm

Main Role: Performer
what_the_heck013 wrote:
pish123c wrote:

I dunno...in my opinion shows like "Company" and "Curtains" are just boring, formulated copies of other shows from the era. The people writing all this need to realize that they just aren't selling tickets anymore. The future is now.

ompany is far from boring its one of the most complex...interesting,brilliant shows ever written. it revolutionized the musical theatre.

crap like Wedding singer,Spring Awakening,Aida and Wicked are pulling it back down.

you need to live a bit to understand company in its complete form.but at your age you can still "get" it..and enjoy one of the greatest scores ever written.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Can you please name ONE show that was ANYTHING like "Company" when it premiered?

Company (((((looks for font)))) changed the landscape of musical theater when it premiered. It was and for the most part still is completely unique.

Unfortunately the dumbing down of America is responsible for closing quality shows early and leaving crap like Wicked and Phantom around.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next