The Resource For Musicals



Company Forum


Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Another Hundred People 
Author Message
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:05 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Eastern U.S.
Post Another Hundred People
I'm not entirely sure what this song means within the context of the show. It's sung by one of Bobby's girlfriends (I don't remember her name, but Pamela Myers played her originally), but I can't figure out why she sings it. Help, anyone?

While we're on the subject of AHP, it's a catchy enough song, but it shocks me to think that Sondheim wrote it. To me, the tune of it doesn't sound like something he would write.

_________________
Brian aka Apples2for10

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective


Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:35 pm
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:58 pm
Posts: 256
Post 
It's sung by Marta. I don't have my program handy, but the woman who played her at the 5th Avenue Theater's production in Seattle last fall was amazing.

I guess my take on the song is that it illustrates a sort of emotional disconnect that some people feel in NYC...and that Bobby is just one of those "another hundred people" in that same disconnect.

That song actually makes me quite painfully homesick for NYC.

_________________
Image


Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:15 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Australia
Post 
It's sung by Bobby's girlfriend Marta.

There isn't really have a reason why she sings it in the show. Most of Company is like that - the songs don't actually help the plotline progress.
It's about the concept, not a narrative.


Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:43 pm
Posts: 3365
Location: <310
Post 
She's describing to Bobby why she loves New York because she feels that Bobby, while he has lived there all his life, has never fully experienced the city.

Apples2for10, the tune is VERY Sondheim. Have you heard "The Miller's Son" from A Little Night Music?

Mara, well of course she has a reason to sing it... if it had no point, it wouldn't be there. While the musical IS about concept, it still has a reason to be.


Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:15 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Australia
Post 
what_the_heck013 wrote:
Mara, well of course she has a reason to sing it... if it had no point, it wouldn't be there. While the musical IS about concept, it still has a reason to be.


Ok, sorry, phrased badly. I meant it wasn't as a result of something which had happened in the plot.


Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:05 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Eastern U.S.
Post 
what_the_heck013 wrote:
Apples2for10, the tune is VERY Sondheim. Have you heard "The Miller's Son" from A Little Night Music?


See, "Miller's Son" sounds like a Sondheim to me, melodywise; AHP, on the other hand, sounds like a song that would be used as filler on an early episode of Sesame Street.

_________________
Brian aka Apples2for10

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective


Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:14 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:43 pm
Posts: 3365
Location: <310
Post 
Apples2for10 wrote:
See, "Miller's Son" sounds like a Sondheim to me, melodywise; AHP, on the other hand, sounds like a song that would be used as filler on an early episode of Sesame Street.
What the n@zi? Are you joking me? I think that AHP is Sonheim at his best. Such wonderful lyrics...

Of course, it is supposed to be pastiche of those classic Broadway Ethel Merman type songs... that could be what's messing with your brain.

In my opinion, though, the fast paced rhythm and pulsing beat in the song is a major quality of a Sondheim song.


Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:03 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:33 pm
Posts: 1497
Post 
Apples2for10 wrote:
what_the_heck013 wrote:
Apples2for10, the tune is VERY Sondheim. Have you heard "The Miller's Son" from A Little Night Music?


See, "Miller's Son" sounds like a Sondheim to me, melodywise; AHP, on the other hand, sounds like a song that would be used as filler on an early episode of Sesame Street.

You've got to be joking me.

_________________
Image

My opinions are right. Duh.


Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:37 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:07 pm
Posts: 11297
Main Role: Performer
Post 
listen to the driving forcvce behind the lyrics itsc the pulse of new yourk all rolled into one song.

Sondheim doesntt write in one particular style the plot,characters and setting of his shows dictate how his score sounds.

_________________
Image[/quote]


Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:05 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Eastern U.S.
Post 
Salome wrote:
listen to the driving force behind the lyrics


See, I have no problem with the lyrics; for some reason I just don't care for the melody.

_________________
Brian aka Apples2for10

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective


Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:34 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:07 pm
Posts: 11297
Main Role: Performer
Post 
i mean them usical force behind the lyrics. the tune is the pylse of Nwe York City..you can hear everything about new york in that tune.

_________________
Image[/quote]


Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:03 pm
Posts: 378
Location: Usually at school...
Post 
Mara wrote:
what_the_heck013 wrote:
Mara, well of course she has a reason to sing it... if it had no point, it wouldn't be there. While the musical IS about concept, it still has a reason to be.


Ok, sorry, phrased badly. I meant it wasn't as a result of something which had happened in the plot.


See, I disagree. I think it's a direct result of the plot - Marta is proving, as do all three of the "girls", why she isn't what Bobby ultimately needs, no matter how hard either of them try. She is showing that she has that veneer, that "city of strangers" feeling, with an underscore of yearning for vulnerability - but Another Hundred People just got off of the train.

I love this show.

_________________
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Image


Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:28 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.