The Resource For Musicals

Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Revival Cast Recording 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

well, honestly how often to you come across a london recording that is actually good???

Past Roles:
Mercutio - Romeo and Juliet
Charlie Brown - Youre a Good Man, Charlie Brown
Man 1 - The World Goes Round
Pippin - Pippin
Edwin - Trial By Jury

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:33 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:33 am Post subject:
well, honestly how often to you come across a london recording that is actually good???

That's just a stupid comment.

Granted, West end shows are generally better acted, whereas Broadway ones are better sung. That's why London cast albums may come across worse in studio. The britts tend to approach musicals more as serious plays, rather than as colourful singing/dancing extravaganzas. I prefer that in many cases.

That said, there still are many London cast album's with superior vocals to their Broadway counterparts. Compare, for example, the revivals of "Chicago". Ann Reinking / Ruthie Henshall, Bebe Neuwirth / Ute Lemper, James Naughton / Henry Goodman... need I say more?

Just a few other examples of great London cast albums of Broadway shows: "Man of La Mancha" with Keith Michell, "Cabaret" and "A Little Night Music" with Judi Dench, "Oklahoma" with Hugh Jackman, "Porgy & Bess" with Willard White, "Fiddler on the Roof" with Topol, "South Pacific" with Philip Quast, "Into the Woods" with Julia Mckenzie, even "Beauty and the Beast" and "Secret Garden".

I love the Sam Mendes "Company" recording, which is nice fresh reading of the piece and far superior to the lifeless Broadwar revival with Boyd Gaines and Debra Monk. The original is still a priceless gem, though.

- Zorba (Kander & Ebb)

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:43 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
I Agree with almost every show you mentioned having and equal or superior london recording to the broadway. especially Chicago. Henshall/Goodman and company are so much better than the broadway revival cast.

and LaMancha's cast rivals the broadway cast.

but I disagree about "Company" and "ITW' I find the London revival even more lifeless than the broadway revival. at least the broadway revival has Jane Krakowski's great "Barcelona' Bob Westnberg's touching 'Sorry Grateful".and LaChanze's dynamic "Another Hundred People".

the london album has one good performance. Sorry Grateful by CLive *damn it i forgot his last name*.

ITW- Imelda Staunton is lackluster as baker's wife. the London Cinderella is awful. but on the upside the princes ar fantastic and mckenzie is wonderful.

oh..and lets not forget the 1982 London Camelot revival with Richard Harris. a far superior recording to the OBC with burton.

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
So for the longest time I have only owned and known the OBC. I didin't both with the revivals.
But, last night on the Tonys, I'm sure my mind was changed. The new recording is soon to be mine! I loved Raul dearly, and they showed a miniclip of another song, and it... well, it just looked great.

Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:43 am

I'm going to get the revival recoring too eventually...maybe not right away...but I will get it!

I went with the OBC back in Feb by the way...

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:36 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I got this today and have been buzzing to get back home to play it. I have never heard anything from the show (apart from another 100 people) before today and I'm loving it! The only bit I didn't enjoy was Babra Walsh's The Ladies Who Lunch (I thought it was screeched through.) Company is another show to my list of favourite musicals (quite alot by Sondheim.)
musicalfan07

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:50 am

Main Role: Performer
Ladies who lLunch is the best song in ther show..but Walsh cant compare with Elaine Stritch in the role. (or me!)

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Have you ever heard LuPone sing "The Ladies Who Lunch"? She performed it when I saw her in concert. Not a bad rendition, I might add.

It made me happy, seeing as how I wanted her to sing a song from Company and that one being a favorite.

Overall, the revival recording is fairly strong, and I was impressed with Raul as Bobby. It's fun seeing him change from character to character, and every role he has he puts his heart into it. Quite an amazing performer.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3