The Resource For Musicals

Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Does anybody else have a problem? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Does anybody else have a problem?
I'm not happy with the concept of actors being cast for their ability to play a musical instrument rather than just their acting talent. I realize that it isn't much of a problem in New York but it would seem to me that this limits your pool of resources.

We have a lawyers theatrical group here in town. In order to audition you have to be a lawyer. I had a conversation with the artistic director and said to him, 'If I were on trial for murder and I stipulated that my lawyer also HAD to be an actor, you would probably tell me that I wouldn't be getting the best lawyer for the job.'...

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:42 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Whether you appreciate Doyle's creative vision or not, this revival is here on Broadway and will stay for a while. Would you rather see an actor you can act a smaller role like, say, Paul or Jenny ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESSLY, but completely botches their music track; or one who acts the role well and plays the score just as nicely?

I remember Donna Lynne Champlin of Sweeney Todd saying in an interview last year that the majority of their cast were actors first and musicians second, but fantastic musicians nonetheless. I wouldn't imagine anything less of the Company cast (although Esparza has admitted that the only song he CAN play on the piano is "Being Alive," which pokes a little hole in your theory that the performers in the show were cast mainly because of their musicianship.)

ETA: I also forgot to mention that many working actors actually do play instruments, and pretty damn well. If you were a low baritone or a bass, you wouldn't go to an audition for a high tenor role, would you? When auditioning for one of Doyle's "concept" shows, having the background as a musician is just another skill that further qualifies the actor for the role. This has also paved the way for several unknowns to break into the Broadway scene.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:55 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I still maintain that if you put a qualification on the abilities of the performers you would hire for a show, you will have a smaller pool of people to choose from. AGAIN, I realize that this is hardly a problem in NYC or other cities that have a large performer pool.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:53 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
I think the actor's as muscicians concept was good once but its not something that should be done regularly.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

i like it! it'll give me better chances! (i play clarinet)

^
I have finally found my one true love...

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:25 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I think the actor's as muscicians concept was good once but its not something that should be done regularly.

Exactly. It only works for certain shows, and even then it would get old if EVERY show did it. It's different in NY because they have a bigger talent pool. This should probably never be done in a smaller theatre or town.

Even so, Raul Esparza himself said that when he was cast, he didn't know how to play the piano. Doyle said, "You better learn!" and that's how it was. He learned the song he needed to and he gave his performance.

The lawyer thing really is different. That's just excluding people because of their profession. But performers are performers, and if a performer has trained extra for (an) intrument(s), and is still a great actor, then why shouldn't they do it?

Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:07 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde
I still maintain that if you put a qualification on the abilities of the performers you would hire for a show, you will have a smaller pool of people to choose from. AGAIN, I realize that this is hardly a problem in NYC or other cities that have a large performer pool.

but why is that a bad thing? Sometimes it's better that way. tons of peopel audition for shows... it's just narrowing it down a bit. Makes it easier for the casting directors.

Plus like the psychpathic ingenue said a lot of actors DO play instruments. I play flute, picc, alto sax, tenor sax and piano. If thats going to get me further then someone who cant play an instrument then so be it.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:14 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Whether you appreciate Doyle's creative vision or not, this revival is here on Broadway and will stay for a while.

Whoa! Zombie thread to the max!

I wonder if that person enjoys the taste of her own words, cuz she's probably eating them right now.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]