The Resource For Musicals

Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Pros and cons- your thoughts 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Post Pros and cons- your thoughts
My community theater is reading this show in consideration for next season. I've never seen it, and of course know a few songs from the show, but I just read it and... well, it was weird. Maybe it's something you have to see on stage...? I really wanted to like it, it seems like a good one for our theater to do, but... I really didn't get it some of the time.

Please, help me report back to the playreading commitee- is this a good show, really? And how does it make sense? and since we don't have a CD or music for it (yet) can anyone tell me the approximate vocal ranges for the characters, especially Bobby? And if anyone has pictures or anything from past productions, that would be great too.
Thanks bunches!!

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:42 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

well, it was weird. Maybe it's something you have to see on stage...? I really wanted to like it, it seems like a good one for our theater to do, but... I really didn't get it some of the time.

It's not a traditional musical, that's probably why it didn't make sense to you some of the time. It has no definite plot ( 8O ). Instead, it's a concept show that deals with the ups and downs of married life. Every scene (except the opening and closing) is a snapshot of time that takes plaace in Bobby's head (as you can imagine, that becomes very scattered). The audience is meant to leave the show "thinking" not "relaxed after seeing aa frolic of entertainment".

It's an incredible show when it's done well, but the music is tricky, so look it over first. I'm not sure about the vocal ranges, but if you get the score, you should be able to find out.

Hope this helps!

Unknown: "But it hasn''t come out yet, how have you seen it?"
Me: 8O

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:45 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

company is brilliant, im pretty sure the person above me explained it as well as it can be explained. as for vocal ranges, if "Marry Me A Little" is included in the score then hes got a little under two octaves, Low A to High Ab.

Past Roles:
Mercutio - Romeo and Juliet
Charlie Brown - Youre a Good Man, Charlie Brown
Man 1 - The World Goes Round
Pippin - Pippin
Edwin - Trial By Jury

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]