The Resource For Musicals

Cabaret Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
IMDB comments about paternity possibilities! (Slight spoiler 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post IMDB comments about paternity possibilities! (Slight spoiler
Dear "Cabaret" Fans,

I was reading the IMDB (Internet Movie Database) comments on the "Cabaret" movie forum, and I realized that several people are thinking that any one of three men (Brian, Max, The Emcee, or the instructor with whom Sally had been having sex) could be the father of Sally's baby. These same people believe that because Sally was uncertain about the paternity of the baby, she had the abortion.

I can't believe that I hadn't considered that idea before! I always figured that Sally was certain that Brian was the father of her baby, and I always assumed that Sally was just afraid that she wouldn't be able to really want to adopt a maternal role.

The posters on IMDB stated several aspects of the movie which might lead someone to believe that the paternity of the baby was questionable:

* Sally says that the baby will be "strange and extrordinary".
* Sally was sleeping with Brian, Max, and the instructor
* The Emcee grabs Sally's chest during her imaginary version of the future

I think that the Emcee's act of feeling Sally up is interesting. Is he actually the father of her child, or is he making fun of her (grabbing her chest) specifically because he KNOWS that she isn't REALLY the type to be nursing a kid instead of dancing for an audience?

I'm also wondering if Sally's abortion is really bad or not. The reason that I am thinking about that is because Hitler's mother almost aborted him. The fact that he wasn't aborted could be considered to be bad, because look at what happened in Germany during World War 2!

So, is Sally's abortion symbolic of the secret rejection of the Nazis, or is her abortion symbolic of the death of the Nazis' victims? Is the abortion symbolic of the death of justice, the death of reality, the death of social consciousness?

What do you think about the paternity of Sally's baby, and what do you think about the abortion of Sally's baby?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:idea:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:31 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
uhm.. Brian is only his name in the film.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]