The Resource For Musicals

Cabaret Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
"Dont go" 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post "Dont go"
Hello my MDN friends. I am wondering if anybody has an mp3 or even a place I can find this song ("Dont Go"). I am currently doing some charactor research for cliff. From what I understand there is only two versions of this show, Cabaret, available for licensing rights. The original, which includes "Why should I wake up", and the 80's version, that includes "dont go". I can find "why should I wake up" but not "dont go".

I would like to research both songs just in case the theatre has the 80's version. Being prepared is a good thing. Thanks much for the reply.

~DD

Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:27 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

You can find "Don't Go" on the Cabaret 1993 Studio Recording, which is on iTunes under "Cabaret - Complete Recording of the Score (Complete Studio Cast)"

Hope I helped!

The Pajama Game: Al

Present:
Bye, Bye, Birdie: Albert

Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:04 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

"Don't Go" is an interesting song for Cliff. Let the music help you to understand Cliff's character. The melody keeps shifting keys - as if it not sure what key it actually belongs in. A perfect metaphor for Cliff, who happen to be a gay man singing a love song to a woman. He can't decide what "key" he is in also.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:45 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I know there is references to cliff getting it on with bobby. But I dont know id the character is gay. Maybe Bisexual. At least that is what I have been researching maybe I am wrong.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:58 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

He and Bobby share an onstage kiss and Sally refers to him as homosexual. She asks him if he is gay because Booby told her and Cliff admits he is. There was a real life Sally and a real life Cliff. Cliff is really Christopher Isherwood who wrote the Berlin Stories on which Cabaret was based. Isherwood was gay and one of his objections to the film version was that it made his character (called Brian in the film) Bi - not gay.

If you want to learn more about Cliff, read biographies of Isherwood.

I have 3 different versions of the script to Cabaret. In the 60s he was straight. In the 80s he was bi and by the 90s he was gay.

SALLY: Are you homosexual in any way? Bobby thinks you are.

CLIFF: Bobby?

SALLY: One of the boys at the Klub. He claims he met you in London — at the Nightingale Bar.

CLIFF: It's possible.

SALLY: It is? How fascinating! And did you and Bobby have an affair?

CLIFF: Did he say that?

SALLY: He implied it.

CLIFF: The fact is - Bobby is not my type. I say — am I shocking you, talking like this?

SALLY: Not a bit. But is it true? You're not just saying it --hoping I'll take my bag and run screaming into the night?

CLIFF: The thought had occurred to me. But it's all true. However, it's not the sort of thing you necessarily go around advertising ...

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:33 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I was reasearching the Original and 80's script so that answers why my my research is off. All though I do have to say if cliff is so interested in sally bowles, not only personality wise but physically, wouldnt thatt make him Bi? As I m going off topic in my own thread.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:36 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

"Don't Go" is an interesting song for Cliff. Let the music help you to understand Cliff's character. The melody keeps shifting keys - as if it not sure what key it actually belongs in. A perfect metaphor for Cliff, who happen to be a gay man singing a love song to a woman. He can't decide what "key" he is in also.
It doesn't change keys. It's in the key of G the entire time.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:05 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

The key signature stays the same, but look at the accidentals. It starts in G, but modulates through the use of accidentals. Themes are repeated in shifting keys, without changing the signature.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:51 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Being the picky music guy key, signature states the key the piece is in. Granted there might be a ton of accidentals thrown in to modulate the chords. BUt if key signature is never changed it means either two things. The guy writing the piece was not very smart and decided he wanted to write in every sharp and flat or there isnt a key change.

I will say after listening to the song I can see one might think there is key changes in the song. But it follows a very apparent pattern. PLus the song both starts and ends in the same key without any changes to the key signature.

But I do agree that the accidental changes fit with cliffs charactor better than why should I wake up.

Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:50 am

He and Bobby share an onstage kiss and Sally refers to him as homosexual. She asks him if he is gay because Booby told her and Cliff admits he is. There was a real life Sally and a real life Cliff. Cliff is really Christopher Isherwood who wrote the Berlin Stories on which Cabaret was based. Isherwood was gay and one of his objections to the film version was that it made his character (called Brian in the film) Bi - not gay.

You said booby.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:04 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Being the picky music guy key, signature states the key the piece is in. Granted there might be a ton of accidentals thrown in to modulate the chords. BUt if key signature is never changed it means either two things. The guy writing the piece was not very smart and decided he wanted to write in every sharp and flat or there isnt a key change.

That isn't true at all, people modulate for brief periods of time without changing the key signature. It is entirely up to the composer, and the time that they key changes is entirely too long for it to be a secondary dominant.

No this is modulation, unless you consider yourself more knowledgeable about music theory than say Mozart or Handel

But yea those guys weren't very "smart" at that stuff.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next