The Resource For Musicals

Cinderella Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
roles for children? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post roles for children?
hi - our local theater is going to do this production, and i am unfamiliar with the stage version. I was wondering what roles there are for children? How big are the children's roles and what songs do they sing? Any tips for auditioning for kids? Thanks for any info!

Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:37 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Is it the Rogers and Hammerstein version? Also, it depends on your age range. For instance, is the entire play for children of varried ages? Because, my point is, you can cast a "child" as Cinderella, the prince, the royal court, the king, queen, etc.

If you are doing mixed ages, for instance if the stepmother is 30-50ish years old, then children can be part of the royal court in scenes such as "The Prince is Giving a Ball" or, in the Cinderella production I was in, they added "Faries" to assist the Fairy Godmother in "Impossible" where they did ballet around Cinderella. They were about 7-9 years old.

It all just depends on who you cast as Cinderella and the rest of the leads to determine whether there are appropriate roles for children to stand out in the show.

I can finally say I am eighteen and a working actress.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:29 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post re:
it is the r&h version. It is varied ages (adults will be the lead roles). I have a 9 year old girl. i was thinking the kids would be the mice, but apparently those are not roles in this show. I know they do try to include children, as it is a family theater, but it sounds like there would only be like 1 or 2 scenes where they could put them? Just not sure if it is worth trying her out for.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:02 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

the mice, and the horses are left up to the director. when i did the production our director chose to use stuffed mice, that were thrown off stage, and then there was a poof of smoke, and four kids came out as horses. These children were also in the prince is giving a ball, they were included in the ball room scenes, and the ending. the kids in our cast had fun with it. i would say talk to the director and see how he/she is planning to incorporate the kids, and then decide whether you should let your daughter audition.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]