Joy 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Portia 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 12

Joy or Portia?? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Joy or Portia??
Hey!

I'm probably auditioning for this show soon, and I'm going for a stepsister, but I'm just wondering, what are the differences between Joy and Portia, and which is a better (in your opinion) role?

Also, I'm short and thin (I know, the opposite of what the roles are traditionally), but which one do you think would be the best for my appearance?

And while I'm posting, the two songs I'm considering singing are "I Can't Say No" from Oklahoma and "The Diva's Lament" from Spamalot (I know its a bad idea to sing a current Broadway song, but I'm almost positive my director hasn't seen the show, and the song is just too perfect to pass up!) Which do you think is better?

Thanks!!

Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:20 am
Profile WWW

It's been a while since I've seen it onstage, but I'm pretty positive about this. If you've seen the 1964 movie with Lesley Ann Warren, Joy is closest to Prunella and Portia is more like Esmerelda. Which is a better role probably just depends on what type of role you enjoy more, as the characters are pretty much opposites as a team, lol.

Same with the songs, "The Diva's Lament" would probably correspond best with Joy, while "I Cain't Say No" would be for Portia. It's true about current songs generally not being the best, but honestly the rules about auditioning are pretty varied. Since it's a school show, I doubt that they'll hold it against you that "Spamalot" is still on Broadway, if that's what you end up singing. :wink:

Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:54 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Stepsisters
I personnaly was not a stepsister in our production of Cinderella, I was the Steward...yes in our version the chef and steward were girls, but I personally would go with Portia

Portia is an air-head and never says anything intelligent and Joy is a Gothic who never smiles

Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:47 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Stepsisters
[quote="Vaseth"] Joy is a Gothic who never smiles[/quote]

:?: Maybe this was just your production. (for reference of other readers)

The Sergeant in The Boys from Syracuse
Rapunzel''''s Prince in Into the Woods
Harvey Johnson in Bye Bye Birdie
Gremio in Kiss Me Kate
Leader of the Pack

Sat May 27, 2006 10:45 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I just wanted to share something amusing a community theater did in my area. I am a bit biased against this theater, it does mostly kids stuff and treats the young actors as if they're in kindergarten. I did a show with them ONCE. Anyway, in an effort to "include as much talent as they could" or something idiotic like that, they had instead of two, 8 stepsisters. It was quite unneccessary and overpowering in my opinion. Has anyone else done this?

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]