The Resource For Musicals

Cinderella Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Is this a fun show? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Is this a fun show?
OK, so here's my dilemma.

My school is doing this show for its spring musical, and ever since I found out, I haven't exactly been happy about it. I know its a cute show and all, but you have to admit, it's all fluff, and I'd much rather do a musical with more to it. However, it's my senior show--something I've been looking forward to since I was a freshman, so until I found out about something else, I was planning on doing the show, and making the best out of it.

THEN, I found out about auditions for Les Miserables School Edition. Les Mis is my favorite musical ever, and I've always dreamed of being in it, but since I'm 18, this is pretty much my last opportunity. However, the production is 50 minutes away from my house, which I don't think I'd mind (its LES MIS!!!) but... it's a tough decision.

Basically, I've always wanted to be in Les Mis and told myself that I would take any opportunity to be in it. And I REALLY want to be in it. I would probably just be in the chorus, but I'd be FINE with that because I think it'd be such an amazing experience. In fact, I'd rather be in the chorus of Les Mis than a lead in lots of other shows. However, since freshman year, I've made so many good friends in my school's theatre and we've looked forward to our senior show together, that even though we're doing a fluffy show, I can't imagine not doing it. I have a really really good chance at getting a stepsister or the stepmother in Cinderella, but I just don't know if I would get satisfaction out of those roles.

If, of course, the Les Mis show was closer to me, I would attempt to do both, or maybe just do backstage stuff for my school's show, but it's really impossible for me to do two shows when they're 50 minutes apart.

So, for those of you who have been in Cinderella: is it a fun show? Is it worth not doing my dream show?

This could very well be the last show I'll ever do, since I don't think I'm pursuing theatre in college... :? I want to make the choice I won't regret.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

imo, the more fun a show is is proportional to how many friends you have in a cast. Even some of the worst shows (on stage) I've been in were fun because of the fun we've had backstage.

I'd say go with Cinderella. Sure - it may not be as deep as Les Mis...but you'll spend way more of your time rehearsing and being backstage than onstage.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:36 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Les Misérables
If you really are passionate about doing Les Miséables, and it is your dream show, then I'd say go for it. You don't want to spend the rest of your life regretting passing up the opportunity and thinking about what it would have been like to do the show.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:53 pm
Profile WWW

I see you've already pretty much decided to do "Cinderella," but I just wanted to throw in a little more encouragement. If I were in your position, I would do "Cinderella," too. It's true that it's probably your last chance to do "Les Mis," but I would stick with "Cinderella" anyway. After all, it's your senior show, that only happens once. Personally, I wouldn't want to miss it after waiting since freshman year, especially since you've made friends you'll be sharing the experience with. It would be like running a mile and stopping before the last lap to go play basketball somewhere else, you know?

Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:01 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm doing Cinderella. Usually after I audition, I can kind of tell what part I got, and if I feel like I didn't do well enough to get a lead, I'm going to audition for Les Mis too and take the better role. But, yeah, I'm pretty much doing Cinderella.

I only wish that Les Mis was any year but this year, then I wouldn't mind missing my school show as much!

Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]