The Resource For Musicals

Cinderella Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
I think I changed my mind... STEPSISTERS 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post I think I changed my mind... STEPSISTERS
I posted a topic before about auditioning for the part of Cinderella in this show for my school's spring musical, but after watching the movie a few times, the stepsisters seem like so much more fun! And plus, I'm auditioning for THE lead in my school's fall play next week, and I want that part more than I want Cinderella, and there is NO WAY I'd get both. (My director NEVER casts the same girl as the lead in the play and the lead in the muscial)

Anyway, I've played lots of whiny, obnoxious roles so I think I could act the parts really well. But here's the problem: I'm pretty short (5'2) and thin. Is this going to be a problem? Because in all the movies, one is tall and thin and the other is short and fat. Which one would be more reasonable to audition for, based on my looks?

And I tried searching the old threads for character descriptions, but I was a little confused because some replies seemed to contradict the others. Could anyone just tell me their distinctive personality traits?

And what would be a good audition song? I thought about Adelaide's Lament, but I don't want to do the accent and the song doesn't seem right without it.

I hope I'm making the right choice in reconsidering... I do think Cinderella would be fun... but the show seems kind of dull, and the stepsisters are so funny that they seem to stick out all the time. I'm also more into acting than singing, and the stepsisters have WAY more acting than Cinderella, from what it seems. And I REALLY want the lead in the fall play, so... I think it's the right choice for me. It's my senior year, and I want to do something really fun my last show.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Um... sorry, I need to bump this, since I REALLY need an audition song because auditions might be before Christmas break this year! 8O

What would be a good audition song for either one of the stepsisters? I'm a soprano, but as long as the song doesn't go really low, range doesn't really matter. I want something that will show off my acting talents more than singing.

And what are the differences between Joy and Portia?

(And by the way, I did get one of 2 leads in the fall play, so the small chance of me getting Cinderella is gone!)

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

You're not being ignored though! I just have no suggestions for a song by them. I'm sorry. :oops:

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:12 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Its okay. The only thing I could think of MAYBE was "It Takes all Sorts" from Honk... it seems to suit them, but I don't really like the song and its a duet. I guess I could make it a solo, but I don't want to audition with a song I don't like, but if I can't think of anything else, would it be okay?

Oh yeah, another one that I thought could work was "Cooties" from Hairspray, but that show's so new and plus it has the chorus backing up, and I just don't think that would be a good audition song but it fits the characters.

Another one I thought of that MIGHT work if I played it up a different way that it's supposed to be was "How Lovely to be a Woman"... I would do it more in a show-offy way than the innocent way Kim does in the show. It'd work better as an audition song than the other two, but usually when I finally decide on an audition song I'm like "YES! This is perfect!" And its not like that... it's more: "I can't think of anything else, so this is my last resort."

If anyone can think of anything, I'd really appreciate it!

Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Well, I don't know much about the show, but I thought maybe you could really play up the song "I Enjoy Being a Girl." I think it could be very good for an audition.
God bless you! Good luck!
Singer

Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:23 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

anything belt-y ish and cute that shows off your voice

but not popular.

no. no. no.

no.

:D :D :D

it tastes good.

RIP, mf.net.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:27 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Don't worry broadwaychild, I won't sing Popular. And Singer, I thought "I Enjoy Being a Girl" would be good too, but I sang that sophomore year for my school auditions for Hello Dolly so I can't really sing it again.

I think I'm going to work on "How lovely to be a woman" and "Adelaide's Lament" without the accent and see how those come along. We'll see... I still have some time.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Good luck! About the appearance issue, don't even worry about it. If your audition is good enough, no one will care if you don't look like the average stepsister. In the production I was in, both of the stepsisters were short and only one was "heavy". As long as you portray one of the characters the best, the appearance shouldn't matter.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:25 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Good luck! About the appearance issue, don't even worry about it. If your audition is good enough, no one will care if you don't look like the average stepsister. In the production I was in, both of the stepsisters were short and only one was "heavy". As long as you portray one of the characters the best, the appearance shouldn't matter.

Haha I think you're a little late on that, dear. This was posted before Christmas! :)

Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:12 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
... :oops: Well then... never mind, I s'pose XD

Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:33 pm

lol No worries! :P Just be sure to check the dates on all of the topics before you reply to them! :)

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]