The Resource For Musicals

A Chorus Line Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Chorus Line Revival 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Chorus Line Revival
Just saw it at the Orpheum in Memphis. Crappy sound system by the way, music was somewhere between sharp and shrill And parts of each song just sort of disappeared.
My question is that it seems to me that the dancing was greatly revised from the original. The one we saw had Cassie's big number as more of an interpretive modern dance than the more Broadway style I remember. On the finale of "One" I think I remember the lights come up on a full Chorus Line dancing to the number in a very powerful manner. The version we saw they used the finale as a kiss off, each member came our, took a bow and joined the line. then into a rather subdued precision line dance, still did the circle but not all that great.
Am I wrong, how was the original finale staged?

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:14 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
The revival is a carbon-copy of the original production. Really nothing has been changed. Even the lighting is the same.

This probably doesn't really count but the only thing slightly altered is the orchestration. The original arrangement was far fuller and included a very exciting brass section. Nowadays the brass has been reduced considerably and much of the percussion is synthesized. Also some of the arrangements have been updated from the original ultra 70's sound (the "wah-wah" electric guitar, for example).

Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]