The Resource For Musicals

A Chorus Line Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Sheila: Black or White? Thoughts? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Where in the stage version does she say her father was wealthy?

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:15 am

"Daddy always said that he married beneath him, that's what he said, that's what he said."

Back in those days, "beneath him" would have definitely referred to money matters, unless I'm crazy. And my guess is that her mom wasn't completely poor, otherwise, how would they have even met? My thinking is that he was a wealthy, older gentlemen who married her mom for her looks more than anything, and guilted her into it (said he was her last chance). Then, when she became older and less attracted, he moved onto younger women and cheated on her. But that's just my thoughts.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:17 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
It's merely implied, not outright stated. And it could be interpreted to mean various other things. Maybe he thought he was too good for her. Maybe he was a male chauvinist pig with an over inflated sense of worth.

And to think there were absolutely no well established blacks during that era is a bit naive, imo. Are you saying there wasn't one well-off black male anywhere in the U.S. at the time? Even if there were just a handful, why is it so far fetched that Sheila's father might've been one of those few?

Personally, I had no problem with the character being black. I had more of a problem with the actress they chose for the role. Her singing was good, her dancing great, but she was a bit on the masculine side. She was all buff n' shit, lol. I like my Sheilas feminine, hiding behind their sensuality to cover up their vulnerability. Diedre came off too abrasive and her monologue was too rushed.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:02 pm

It's merely implied, not outright stated. And it could be interpreted to mean various other things. Maybe he thought he was too good for her. Maybe he was a male chauvinist pig with an over inflated sense of worth.

And to think there were absolutely no well established blacks during that era is a bit naive, imo. Are you saying there wasn't one well-off black male anywhere in the U.S. at the time? Even if there were just a handful, why is it so far fetched that Sheila's father might've been one of those few?

Personally, I had no problem with the character being black. I had more of a problem with the actress they chose for the role. Her singing was good, her dancing great, but she was a bit on the masculine side. She was all buff n' shit, lol. I like my Sheilas feminine, hiding behind their sensuality to cover up their vulnerability. Diedre came off too abrasive and her monologue was too rushed.

No, I never ever said there were absolutely none, it was just very, very unlikely, especially given the time period. Also, I'm guessing her family MUST have had some money, because how else could they have afforded to frequent the ballet? Granted, she didn't have to be rich for this, but she definitely couldn't have been poor.

As for Deidre, I never saw her, so I can't say, I only have the cd. My guess about her build is that they wanted her to be very physically intimidating, giving more of a reason for the attitude. Just my thought though.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

It didn't make it as funny when Richie announced he was black...

"Oh, and I'm black." Now that line was classic.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:32 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Also, WRT to being racist, I don't think you're being racist. We've been watching and/or listening to these shows for years. I'd be baffled seeing a black Sheila as much as I'd be baffled seeing a white Richie or a white Judas from JCS. Maybe I'm just getting old and set in my ways. :D 0

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:48 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

i don tmind her being black... i didnt like her for the part for other reasons...

but it does seem a tad odd that her father could have been so high and mighty.. i guess its different when your in the arts, thats true..
it deff took away from richie though... thats a fact.

and everyone knows that sheila and zack are sleeping together. so reguardless of her skin color, she could have made it far for that reason..
(thats for the people who say "a black woman wouldnt have made it that far!!")

Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:31 pm

and everyone knows that sheila and zack are sleeping together.

That's interesting. I've never heard and/or thought of this before. Doesn't Sheila have a husband and kids she talks about? I mean, I know that doesn't mean she can't be cheating, but since she saw the damage it did to her own mother when her father cheated, why would she repeat the cycle?

Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

no.. she never talks about having kids.. don is the only one who says anything about having children.

(and ironically, in the first draft of the script, sheila and don are sleeping together as well. 8O )

Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:00 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

It really shouldn't matter at all except Richie and Connie sing about how hard it is to be black and asian. If Sheila is black it's like, why didn't she get a song about being an african american? I didn't see the revival on broadway so I can't say anything about Deirdres performance.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:28 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post White
I hope no one finds it racist that I choose the white version but it is because of Richie comes ringht out and says "Im black" which was much better when hes the only one. I did see the Revival which is the only version Ive ever seen, but she was white. I didn't know that she was suppose to be black until I saw the Revival Posters. "understudy" maybe? I thought she was really good at being Shelia! *off topic* Val was AMAZING I immedialty loved her! and Dance Ten Looks Three!

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2