The Resource For Musicals

A Chorus Line Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Sheila: Black or White? Thoughts? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Sheila: Black or White? Thoughts?
Okay, so my question is, what did everyone think about Sheila being black in the most recent revival? Any problems with it? Didn't care? Liked it better?

For me, it doesnt really matter I guess. I suppose my only problem with it, is the fact that, since the show takes place during the 70's, and Sheila talks about how her father was in a wealthy social class when he met her mother, which would have been in the 40's maybe early 50's (since Sheila is 30). My problem with this, is the fact that not really any African Americans were in a high social status at this point in time, were they? I'm not at all trying to be racist, this is just my conclusion, since it's pre-Civil Rights. I dunno.

However, don't kill me, my favorite Sheila ever is in the movie. She had me dying at times. My favorite bit in the entire movie is where she starts fixing her hair in the mirror, and when Larry scolds her, she says simply, "I knew it better in the front." hahaha. Soo good.

Anyways, thoughts?

Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Hmmm, well when I saw it, I didn't mind at all. My main problem with her was that she was a bad singer!

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:02 pm

Hmmm, well when I saw it, I didn't mind at all. My main problem with her was that she was a bad singer!

Haha I know, right? I found her voice weak as well.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It didn't make it as funny when Richie announced he was black...

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:07 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I honestly do not think it matters at all. The character was played well, 40's-50's- yes there would be wealthy black men (not so much women, unless the wife) especially in the 'arts scene'. IE artists, musicians, producers, gallery owners, historians and to an extent professors and lecturers.
Open your eyes, mind and heart to this.

JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:20 pm

It didn't make it as funny when Richie announced he was black...

Oh my god, I totally forgot about that line! Yeah, I can definitely see where the comedy was lost there!

Adie wrote:
I honestly do not think it matters at all. The character was played well, 40's-50's- yes there would be wealthy black men (not so much women, unless the wife) especially in the 'arts scene'. IE artists, musicians, producers, gallery owners, historians and to an extent professors and lecturers.
Open your eyes, mind and heart to this.

Forgive me, I was not being racist at all, what so ever. I'm not racist either. I just assumed that since it was pre-Civil Rights, most black men and women were not extremely wealthy. I mean, in fact, no one was really wealthy during the 30s, which is when they could have met (depending on when they met to when they had Sheila), so I was just kind of rounding an assumption

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: Sheila: Black or White? Thoughts?
Jman383 wrote:
Okay, so my question is, what did everyone think about Sheila being black in the most recent revival? Any problems with it? Didn't care? Liked it better?

For me, it doesnt really matter I guess. I suppose my only problem with it, is the fact that, since the show takes place during the 70's, and Sheila talks about how her father was in a wealthy social class when he met her mother, which would have been in the 40's maybe early 50's (since Sheila is 30). My problem with this, is the fact that not really any African Americans were in a high social status at this point in time, were they? I'm not at all trying to be racist, this is just my conclusion, since it's pre-Civil Rights. I dunno.

However, don't kill me, my favorite Sheila ever is in the movie. She had me dying at times. My favorite bit in the entire movie is where she starts fixing her hair in the mirror, and when Larry scolds her, she says simply, "I knew it better in the front." hahaha. Soo good.

Anyways, thoughts?

Hmm Don't know about most current Sheila. Every Sheila I've seen has been an older white woman. I'm going to see JCS for the umpteenth time soon (and again with Ted Neely - who surprisingly can still pull off the role of a man who died in his early 30's) and am wondering who is taking Carl Anderson's place since he died a few years ago. I am really hoping it's a black man again. Carl Anderson's performances have spoiled me.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:53 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wait, the show takes place in 1975. That's not pre-civil rights. And I loved Deidre's portrayal of Sheila. She's one of few characters that does not specify her race or ethnicity.

www.tinydancer5.tumblr.com

Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:52 pm
Profile WWW

Wait, the show takes place in 1975. That's not pre-civil rights. And I loved Deidre's portrayal of Sheila. She's one of few characters that does not specify her race or ethnicity.

Um... Sheila is at least 30... therefore, 1975 minus 30 years is 1945. That's pre-Civil Rights.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Oh! I only skimmed your post and didn't read all the stuff you meant about her parents. Sorry about that, and you have a very valid point.

www.tinydancer5.tumblr.com

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: In the Heights,Aaron Tveit, I Love You Because
Main Role: Performer
her dad could have been white and her mom black. that would make sense. she could be mixed race.

Previous: Into The Woods -Cinderella, West Side Story- Rosalia, My Fair Lady - u/s Eliza, Cats -Demeter, FAME!-Serena, Fiddler...- Hodel, A Chorus Line - Lois, Guys and Dolls - Adelaide, No, No Nanette

Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Definitely, but the one in the revival was way too dark to be mixed. But yes, I agree.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next