A Chorus Line Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
too young? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: In the Heights,Aaron Tveit, I Love You Because
Main Role: Performer
Post too young?
In a community theatre production what would you say the average age of the characters would be? I mean I am an older teen and I have a friend who is a young teen and ACL is like our favorite show :) I'm definitely auditioning but not sure what part to go for. My friend feels the same although she may be too young. I'm thinking Val is out because of subject matter, Kristine is married, and Cassie and Shelia have reputations already but could a 15-18 year old play roles like Bebe, Maggie, Diana or Judy?

Previous: Into The Woods -Cinderella, West Side Story- Rosalia, My Fair Lady - u/s Eliza, Cats -Demeter, FAME!-Serena, Fiddler...- Hodel, A Chorus Line - Lois, Guys and Dolls - Adelaide, No, No Nanette

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
go for DIANA!!!! MAggie is an awsome role if you're a strong singer, and doesn't have to look too old. Bebe doesn't have a massive amount of material.... how about Sheila or Connie? Connie would suit your mate, esp if she's short :)

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

haha yeah :) she isn't asian but could look it. and thanks...I think I will go for Diana or Maggie. I'd just be happy to be anything...except a cut dancer as the show is 40 mins away from my house :) i just love it though.

Previous: Into The Woods -Cinderella, West Side Story- Rosalia, My Fair Lady - u/s Eliza, Cats -Demeter, FAME!-Serena, Fiddler...- Hodel, A Chorus Line - Lois, Guys and Dolls - Adelaide, No, No Nanette

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
I wish i was a better dancer - the role of Maggie would be perfect for me then :cry:

anyway, i hope you get the parts you want (My mate playde Vicki and she still had a fab time :) )

I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]

Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:46 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The only problem is that every single actor says their age. And the youngest is Bebe (22), which the others make fun of her about. Do not go for Sheila, she's one of the oldest (30). The problem with youth playing these roles is that age plays such a huge part and adds to their characters. Sheila is so outspoken because she's been around for so long and knows that she has put in her time to deserve to be there. Connie also has a storyline around her age, which is 32. But that storyline is that she looks about 14. So if you're Asian and really short then go for her. I believe the other women are in the mid to late 20s, but I can't completely remember.

www.tinydancer5.tumblr.com

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

yeah she'll be 15...but she may end up just being a cut dancer if there isn't an age limit on the show. I think I'll be close enough to the ages and I definitely look like I'm 24. I think it's most important to relate to whatever character your playing and be within range of course...but exact age probably doesn't matter. and as theatre lovers I'm sure we can all relate on some level to the situations in ACL.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Maggie should probably look quite young.... the Connie in a local production near me was about 15 8O and the Vicki was about 13. Bebe was 15 too if i'm not mistaken 8O 8O

Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:58 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW

She's only in "I hope i get it" but she has to be very well trained in classical ballet, but not in other styles, which stops her getting any further in the audition. Zack asks her "Any Broadway shows?" and she's just like "Errr.... I'm meant to have experience 8O "

She would sing as part of the chorus for the rest of the show :)

Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:15 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

we'll see what ends up happening! :) thanks for all the advice and support.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW

hehe good luck! God, i hope you get a fab part :)

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:54 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

looks like another company is doing ACL in april/may which I'm going to audition for but if I get a role I'd have to give up senior ball and senior play/cabaret...so I trust that whatever is meant to happen will happen.

anyway it'll give me a good opportunity to practice one of my college audition songs. They said 18 plus but because I will be 18 at the time of the show and I know them I'm allowed to audition. However I asked the director what ages she was planning on using so I have an idea going in.

I'm still planning on going for the one in the summer regardless of the outcome this time. I just really love A Chorus Line. I could do the show over and over again!!!

Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next