The Resource For Musicals

A Chorus Line Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Bobby? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Bobby?
Today, I was cast as Bobby in A Chorus Line. I am a girl, and what I know about bobby is that he is a baritone, and thats it. I was wondering if anyone could give me some info about bobby, and if he, now a she, has a solo in any songs.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Hmmm, a female Bobby. I guess they'll change the part where you say you had an erection that wouldn't go down for three years!

Bobby has a bunch of lines - monolouge stuff, during which the rest of the cast is singing "And". So you have to do a lot of pantomime of talking, while others are singing, and then step right into your lines. Bobby is very funny, and typically played very gay. "But then I realized - to commit suicide in Buffalo is redundant." Heh.

Bobby also has some solo lines in the songs, although it sounds like your director may rearrange stuff. Most notable, he sings "If Troy Donahue can be a movie star, then I can be a movie star," in 2nd montage (Hello 12 etc). He's sarcastic and weird. He also is one of the people who gets into the show at the end, not that it matters.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:28 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

:D

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Yay! A fellow female Bobby!
Really? You're a female Bobby? And here I thought it was unusual. XD Same thing happened to me!

Advice-wise: If you're Bobby and can't sing deep enough, go up on the last E in phrases like "I'm gonna be a movie star", "If Troy Donahue (etc)", and "If George Hamilton (etc)". It makes it easier, though the director may want a male sound and give the singing solo parts to someone who can sing low.

Don't be afraid to get enthusiastic with this part, because he's such an oddball with a lot of history (and angst, whee!). Be sure not to use any feminine postures onstage like putting your hands on your hips or putting one hand on your hip. Secretly investigate some of the ways the other guys in your cast stand and try to adopt them (though be careful about crossing your arms too much even if you see guys doing it all the time.)

Oh! I almost forgot. You're going to have to find out your men's shoe size if they have you wear guys' shoes. Go to Kmart and try some on, don't just guess, since you will be wearing the shoes for some time and you don't want to get blisters from the shoes being too small or having them fall off your feet while dancing.

Anyhow, I hope it goes well for you! Sorry I rambled a bit and if you already knew some of this. ^^; I find it interesting to find someone else playing Bobby as a girl. Good luck!

Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:01 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Well my character was adapted into a girl, so I wear a leggings and an old timey t-shirt. But some of the lines as bobby dont really seam, well like a girl would say them

And in Montage where it has, "Im gonna be a movie star", I sing down on "Im gonna be a " and then I pop in up on "movie star" same thing on the other one, since, I cant sing barition, YET.

Like, I cant figure out how to say my line where I introduce myself, "Im Barbra Caren Jennifer Mills the third, thats my real name to. I came from upstate new york near buffalo. I cant remeber the name of the town... I blocked it out. born march 15 1970". Every time I say, it sounds like it wouldnt go with any of the rest of my lines. Same with the ending line. "Well if we all had to pick another carrer, go on pick a carrer, what do you want to be when you grow up'?.

Any suggestions?

Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

It depends how you're playing Bob-Barbara. Shy, confident, arrogant, giggly --whatever you decide, you can add feminine tints to how you say it by deciding on a personality. Barbara is saying what she does because it expresses herself, so try to get into her head and figure out who she is when you're playing her.

I dunno, I really don't know what to recommend to you. Just try to figure out what could make a girl think the way Barbara does is all I can offer. You could even make her a tomboy. =D That'd be interesting. (A man, transposed to a woman, being a tomboy... O_o;; )

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Well when I play bobbie(barbra), Im kind of a tomboy, and kind of a jerk.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Like, I cant figure out how to say my line where I introduce myself, "Im Barbra Caren Jennifer Mills the third, thats my real name to. I came from upstate new york near buffalo. I cant remeber the name of the town... I blocked it out. born march 15 1970". Every time I say, it sounds like it wouldnt go with any of the rest of my lines. Same with the ending line. "Well if we all had to pick another carrer, go on pick a carrer, what do you want to be when you grow up'?.

Any suggestions?

What do you mean it sounds like it wouldn't go with the rest of your lines?

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:10 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]