The Resource For Musicals

A Chorus Line Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Dance/songs when audtioning? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Dance/songs when audtioning?
I'm auditioning for this show in a few months and would like to start getting prepared, dance and vocal-wise...at first, I was thinking about auditioning for Maggie, but now I'm also liking Bebe's part. Either way, what types of dance should I start focusing on? I've had 2 yrs of jazz, a year of ballet, and about 4/5 yrs of various theatre dance, plus basic tap. I'm also looking into songs for auditions, although I suppose I could just use Bebe's part from 'At the Ballet.'

I know, I know, I should put this in the Auditions thread, but everyone over here seems like they really know their ACL stuff! Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D Thanks soooo much!

Recently: Patty (Grease), Violet (It''s a Wonderful Life)

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:26 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

For my audition, I used "Dance: 10, Looks: 3" and got Val. If you're going for Bebe, it is definitely a good idea to use her part of "At the Ballet." It's not too short, not too long, just right. Dancing wise, there is a tap sequence but it is mostly jazz. Hope that helps! Good luck at auditions and PM if you have any more questions. =]

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:39 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

the show is basically a long dance, so as long as you can "move," and sing somewhat, i'm sure you'll get a part. 2 years of jazz for one person could mean complete mastery and for another mean they've gotten as far as step-touch. :-P I'm sure you're good, though!
however, for bebe, if your director likes that standout that she has in the beginning where zach pulls her out everyone the proper way to do the dance during "i hope i get it" like in the movie (i've seen shows where it has/has not been done), you should really be a gooood dancer.
her part in "at the ballet" is perfect...it's a good piece to show deep emotion/longing on, too

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

A lot.
They'll probably teach you that.
I know it! Took me a while.

My opinions are right. Duh.

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:26 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

bebe's part from at the ballet is a great piece for an audition..especially for her! when i tried out for bebe i didn't use songs from the show but i think it would be a great idea to! i loved playing bebe..and everyone loves 'at the ballet.' we learned the beginning part of the choreography at auditions, so definetly try to pick that up from the dvd...good luck :D

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:03 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

although you are better off in the long term by taking ballet...i would say take jazz to quickly get prepared for auditions. The more you take, the easier and quicker the audition combo will be.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Honestly, go and find a bootleg of the opening number combos somewhere (NOT FROM THE MOVIE) and memorize it. If it's at a serious theater, chances are a large handful of the auditioners will already know it and come prepared with it memorized hoping that that's the combo they teach at the auditions.

Steward/Ensemble in Anything Goes

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]