The Resource For Musicals

A Chorus Line Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Nervous! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Nervous!
Ok, so A Chorus Line is probably one of my favorite shows of all time there is only one problem, I can't dance. Our production isn't for another year so I am thinking I am going to try and dance my ass off for the next year and try to get into the show. Now I have a few questions:

Do you think it's worth my time or should I just drop the idea?

What would be a good audition song for Mark?

What are some things I could do in order to prepare?

Does anyone know any good summer classes or camps that would be good for me to go to and try to become a better dancer this summer?

Thanks for your help!

"It's better to be hated for something you are then to be loved for something you are not!"

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:43 pm
Profile YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Wicked05, you should start preparing for the production now. Start eating right and work out as much as you can, while maintaining a healthy diet and such...

Everyone deserves a chance to FLY!

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:00 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I agree with milikinman. If this is the show that you want to be in then have fun with it. Take some dance classes over the next year specifclly tap and beginning ballet class for basics, because those are the main two types of dancing that I've seen done in the show. You may also want to try a modern dance class which is a mix of ballet and jazz. It's a lot of fun and I would highly recommend it to anyone that is trying to learn.

Brigitta "TSOM"
Alice "SBFSB"
Rizzo "Grease"
Silly Girl #1, Napkin/Plate "BATB"
Metamorphoses "Alcyone"

Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:40 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

don't waste your time with tap-- there's one tap sequence. focus on ballet-- because i think it's the basic fundamental to nearly every other kind of dance-- and some kind of jazz or modern dance class to get more of the "down and dirty" style down (in the words of my favorite choreographer lol) that is prevelent throughout the show. ballet with help with strength and grace, while the modern/and/or jazz will help more with technique and mastering steps and rhythm.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:53 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Ballet is the basis of all dance and it's really fun! I started at the beginning of this year in order to prepare for College Auditions and I loved it!. Try to take as much dance as you can, Jazz should be your second choice.

Oh and be prepared to hurt after your first day of dance.

Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:01 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Ballet and jazz. The opening number has a double piroutte in it and you do it about a million times in the show. Learn to nail it, learn the terminology and go for it.

Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:00 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Look for a dancing-for-singers class in your area. These are dance classes for actors and singers who find dancing a part of their musical theatre skills that they lack. The dance you learn is pretty much what you need to get by in musicals without being too complex. Also, classes move slower for people who aren't natural dancers.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:44 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Do you think it's worth my time or should I just drop the idea?
Yes, definitely. It is always worth it. I'm in a production of ACL right now and I haven't had any dance experience.

What would be a good audition song for Mark?
It depends on if they want you to sing songs from the show. If they do, you could try his section of "Montage: Hello Twelve, Hello Thirteen, Hello Love."

What are some things I could do in order to prepare?
It always helps to watch videos of the Broadway productions on YouTube.com since many theatres use the exact choreography from the OBC.

Does anyone know any good summer classes or camps that would be good for me to go to and try to become a better dancer this summer?
Try local dance classes in your area

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:42 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

have confidence..u can def. get into the show without a great dance background...fortunately i'm a dancer, so i loved the chance to be in chorus line..i played bebe..but anyway, a lot of my friends got parts (especially the boys) and they had never danced before...after months of a LOT of practice, the show turned out great. Watch the DVD and check out the type of choreography being done. There's only a very small section of tap dancing so don't really worry about that. Work on those kicks!! And take as many dance classes as you can. The casting people will want to see that you can move easily. Good luck!! ACL is a greattt show :D

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]