Chicago Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Rights Restricted 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Company
Main Role: Performer
Post Rights Restricted
I was supposed to be in a producition of Chicago early this summer. We were able to obtain the rights, only be told a few weeks later that all contracts have being made void and the show is currently restricted. I find it odd that they decide now of all times to make the show restricted. Thoughts?

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:05 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Stage Manager
Post Re: Rights Restricted
The company here that did Rent last summer is scheduled to do Chicago this summer. I've been with the director quite a bit this week and he still talks like he is for sure planning on doing this show, and he wouldn't talk like that if he'd been told he didn't have the rights. Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't think a company can legally void a contract like that. At the same time, I do see on Samuel French's site that Chicago is listed as "Restricted", so I'm curious to see what (if anything) happens between now and auditions.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:49 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Amanda Palmer, Doctor Who, Jane Austen
hyperactress23 wrote:
Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't think a company can legally void a contract like that. At the same time, I do see on Samuel French's site that Chicago is listed as "Restricted", so I'm curious to see what (if anything) happens between now and auditions.

Unfortunately, the rights can be pulled. I have been in a situation where a show had been auditioned and cast when the rights were pulled due to the announcement of a professional tour of the same show. It may depend however on the dates of your production and your proximity to the 'overriding' production.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:58 am

Megziid wrote:
hyperactress23 wrote:
Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't think a company can legally void a contract like that. At the same time, I do see on Samuel French's site that Chicago is listed as "Restricted", so I'm curious to see what (if anything) happens between now and auditions.

Unfortunately, the rights can be pulled. I have been in a situation where a show had been auditioned and cast when the rights were pulled due to the announcement of a professional tour of the same show. It may depend however on the dates of your production and your proximity to the 'overriding' production.

That can happen, yes. But that's not what it sounded like the OP was describing. The way I read that post was that all productions everywhere had lost their contract, which would mean it didn't have to do with a nearby "overriding" production.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:13 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Quote:
Okay kids... bad news... As some of you may or may not have heard, the rights to Chicago have been pulled. They restricted the show and all contracts have been voided. So we can no longer do the show. This is something that seldomly happens in theather, but it has happened to us. I found out a few days ago, and I have been trying to figure out our best course of action to take. It seems that we will have to select another show. I hope that regardless of what show we end up with, that you will want to be a part of it.

That's what my director had sent to all of us. I'm taking it as all productions lost their contract. We are 2 1/2 hours from NYC, but other theaters and a high school had been able to do the show in the past 3 years.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:40 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Just curious what the latest is on this. Our local community theater opens CHICAGO next week. We've not heard a word about losing the rights so assume it's not a sweeping, nation/world-wide ban.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:02 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Chicago - Synopisis of Scenes
Does anyone have a synopsis of scenes for Chicago?

I am waiting for my perusal script and am eager to start thinking about the show (it's all about the visuals!)

:clap:

Thank you !!

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:59 pm

I don't have one, sorry!

And the group here is still scheduled to do it. I was actually asked if I'd be interested in working backstage, so I'd say the show is definitely still on. Auditions are May 7.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:28 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

My director recently got an email saying that we can do the production again. So I really don't know what was up with restricting it for about a few weeks.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]