The Resource For Musicals

Chicago Forum

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
is the movie any good? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
then you miss the entire point of musical theatre Navada.

Mon May 25, 2009 7:07 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

then you miss the entire point of musical theatre Navada.

Care to enlighten me, then? Do explain what the entire point of musical theatre is, since you're clearly the expert.

Wed May 27, 2009 2:01 pm

Victoria Grant wrote:
navada wrote:
Victoria Grant wrote:
Those parts are meant for thinly-voiced non-singers like those ladies.

I find this allegation a little hard to swallow. I can't imagine any composer sitting down at the piano and deliberately composing a song to be sung by someone who isn't very good at singing. :roll:

not Sondheim for Stritch even?

Hmmm ... no, not really.

No, Vicky's got this one. Sodheim writes a lot of his songs for "nonsingers", and has said so on many occasions. As long as the person can carry the tune and act the HELL out of the song, he's perfectly happy... in fact, he's happiER than when someone is a stronger singer than an actor.

But ANYWAYS, as for the movie, it's BRILLIANT. The entire concept of seeing everything through Roxie's eyes is absolutely genius. Great movie. Buy NOW.

Wed May 27, 2009 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Fair enough. Sondheim's certainly achieved enough in the industry for his opinion to merit respect, although it does seem unusual for a composer of his calibre to write deliberately for non-singers. I think we'd all agree that a fabulous voice constrained by a wooden acting style makes for a shocking performance and a great voice alone clearly isn't enough. However, while the performance of a song in character is the key factor, surely most music theatre lovers would also expect that someone who has been cast in a singing role should be able to sing and sing well. Surely composers would write plays rather than musicals if they were interested purely in character arcs and weren't interested in the ways that performers' voices can harness the power of music to bring another dimension to the story.

Either way, I'm still puzzled by Salome's melodramatic claim that I have apparently "missed the entire point of musical theatre" for expecting singers to be able to sing. It's a particularly offensive statement, so I'm still waiting for an explanation.

Thu May 28, 2009 5:53 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:20 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Coward for Lawrence

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:45 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I just watched the movie on the side of my house last night, with big stereo speakers and everything. FANTASTIC film, FANTASTIC songs, FANTASTIC Cast. Need I say more? (My dad thinks Catherine Zeta-Jones was too "hefty" to play Velma...no idea what he means...) POP! SIX! SQUISH! UH-UH...CICERO! LIPSCHITZ!

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3