Chicago Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Velma: More innocent than Roxie? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Velma: More innocent than Roxie?
Dear Chicago Fans,

We all know *SPOILER WARNING*

that Roxie isn't really as innocent as she'd like her husband to think that she is.

*END OF SPOILER WARNING*

Was Velma really that innocent of a person

*SPOILER WARNING*
before she killed her husband and her sister?

*END OF SPOILER WARNING*

Thanks in advance for your replies.
8)

I want someone who's the deviant version of Fred MacMurray, David Tomlinson & William Schallert....but who has the looks of guys like Dan Haggerty, Kris Kristofferson & Tom Selleck.

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:36 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Bit hard to tell, but from Velma's knowing demeanour, I would imagine she has a bit of a past. After all, when we first meet her, she's on stage performing All That Jazz - hardly the song of an ingenue.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:17 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

This is true, but also, everything in those days was an act. Just as Roxie's facade was of being sweet and innocent, Velma's very well could have been being a badass. Do I think Velma had a better reason for comitting her muders however? Yes. Do I think that she was right in doing it? No. But, all the same, I would have let her off before Roxie.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Yes. Within the context of the show and its black, tit-for-tat justification of lifestyle choices, Velma's murder seems a lot more justifiable on the surface than Roxie's. While you could defend either as a crime of passion, it's a little harder to defend Roxie murdering her lover because he cheated on her - when she was doing exactly the same thing to poor lovable defenceless Amos.

I suppose when deciding which girl is the more innocent, I also look at how they cope with all the things that happen next and how they manipulate media attention to their best advantage. While we see Roxie's journey from the beginning, Velma is already an old stager and her behaviour at Roxie's trial indicates to me that she is just a bit cleverer in getting her own way.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]