The Resource For Musicals

Chicago Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Hunyak's story in Cell Block Tango? 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re: Hunyak's story in Cell Block Tango?
jmajka wrote:
The reported lyrics to Hunyak's part of CELLBLOCK TANGO seem to have been, perhaps purposefully, changed. When you listen to her speaking, you can clearly hear her say "Novy Yorku, New Amsterdam" but that is NOT shown in any of the lyrics on the web that I can find.
The published lyrics all show the words "Uncle Sam". However, I don't recall her EVER saying that during the number and I listen to it everyday.

It seems that all the purported lyrics are identical and were probably copied from the same source.

Anyway, the lyrics given for Hunyak seem to have been modified for publication.
Well I don't know what version you are listening to, but I have just listened to both Broadway recordings, the London and the Film. I can clearly hear "Uncle Sam" (usually pronounced "Uncle Samo" in the show versions) in every one.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:23 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Well, I'm a 70 year old of Polish descent and speech (familiar with many accents) and I didn't hear it in the movie version. If it were a true Slavic speech and not a created one, she would have said "Uncle Sam" and not "Uncle Samu". When using words from another language, people don't change the words. That would defeat the purpose.

What about "...Novy York, New Amsterdam..." It's not in any of the translations.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:09 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

jmajka wrote:
Well, I'm a 70 year old of Polish descent and speech (familiar with many accents) and I didn't hear it in the movie version. If it were a true Slavic speech and not a created one, she would have said "Uncle Sam" and not "Uncle Samu". When using words from another language, people don't change the words. That would defeat the purpose.

What about "...Novy York, New Amsterdam..." It's not in any of the translations.
I think what you are hearing as "Novy York" is in fact a bad pronunciation of " en artatlan vagyok." which is in the Lyric, and would be at the right place.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2