The Resource For Musicals

Chicago Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Characters and Vocal Parts? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Characters and Vocal Parts?
Hey, I am going to be in a community theater production of "chicago" this summer, and was wondering if anyone could list the names and vocal ranges of the characters. As for myself, I'm a romantic-lead Tenor.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:37 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Roxie - Alto

Velma - Alto

Billy Flynn - Baritone

Mama Morton - Alto

Amos - Baritone (?) He only has 1 song, and I wouldn't consider it a tenor song.

Mary Sunshine - if it's being played by a female it calls for a soprano. By a male I would say a counter- tenor, or a male with an amazing falsetto.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:48 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Amos = Tenor
ByeByeBirdieFan89 wrote:
Amos - Baritone (?) He only has 1 song, and I wouldn't consider it a tenor song.

I'd say "Mr Cellophane" is a tenor song - at any rate, it appears in one of the tenor volumes of The Singer's Musical Theatre Anthology. And while Billy works best as a baritone, I'd most certainly consider Amos a tenor role.

Later days
David

Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

Most tenors can usually do high baritone, which is what "Mr. Cellophane" and several of Billy's songs are. Since you consider yourself a "romantic tenor" go for Amos.
There is, of course, the chorus also, but you need to be an amazing dancer.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Yes, I would say Amos is a high baritone role.

But It's not the type of "romantic" role the poster is talking about. Amos is foolishly in love with Roxie, but she just steals and lies from him, and most of all cheats on him. It's the "heartbreaking" role of the show - because he sincerly loves Roxie - but she just uses him to further her success in the press, etc.

Billy is best sung by baritones. Like it was sung by Jerry Orbach and James Naughton - two great baritones. It calls for a guy with a nice "deep" sound. No one wants to hear Billy sung by a squeaky tenor (which I'm not saying is you - Fiyero34.)

The revival calls for Billy to sustain a high G above middle C - sustained for quite some time. But I doubt a community theatre production would do that. Orbach and Gere sure didn't.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:06 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanx for all the replies! I actually do have a high-baritone range (For some reason I was first taught to sing as a baritone, but that never worked out, so I tried tenor and its worked perfectly ever since). I was also considering Amos myself, but I wasn't sure what his vocal range was. I do usually play the steriotypical romantic lead type (like Tony in "West Side Story", for example), but I think playing Amos would be a fun challenge. We'll see if the casting director aggrees! (I'm not auditioning for a while, so I do have time to prepare)

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:58 pm

Oh, that's what you meant by "romantic". Go for Billy Flynn. He is a baritone, but has to sustain some higher baritone notes.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post notes
Hey, I'm curious too about the vocal ranges of the characters, but I was wondering what the actual notes are for the characters. For example how low does Amos have to sign? A? B? C?

Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:27 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Characters and Vocal Parts?
Had a quick look at my sheet music for 'Mr Cellophane' and it's from C-High G, so a tenor or baritone could handle it easy. This might be wrong since it's not from the score, but I'm confident it is.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:38 pm

That is correct, the version in the "Singer's Musical Theatre Anthology," which is supposed to be in the original key, has it top out at a G. For the record, it's in the tenor volume, but that's the only real high note.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I know it states that Velma is an alto/belter and that Roxie is a mezzo/alto, but what is their highest and lowest notes?

Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]