The Resource For Musicals

Chess Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Arbiter's Song 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Arbiter's Song
Do you prefer Arbiter’s Song to Airport Prologue and has anyone used Arbiter’s Song in their production?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:45 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Arbiter's Song
There's an alternate airport prologue to the Arbiter's Song? (Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the licensed Broadway version; I much prefer Cadriel's edits to the show over the years.)

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:22 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Brother Marvin Hinten, S. wrote:
There's an alternate airport prologue to the Arbiter's Song? (Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the licensed Broadway version; I much prefer Cadriel's edits to the show over the years.)

My nomenclature was a little off. By Airport Prologue, I meant Hungarian Folk Song, which begins Act II in the licensed Broadway version and then leads into Heaven Help My Heart. However, if your director so desires, you have the option of putting Arbiter's Song between the folk song and HHMH.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:33 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
I like having "Arbiter's Song" at the top of Act II, honestly. It's silly and pointless, but Chess needs some silliness (the Broadway version especially), and there's just not a good place for the song during the opening ceremony business in the Broadway script (at least not without cutting "Merchandisers", which I really hate to lose).

I can totally understand productions that don't do it and just go straight into Hungary, but I do quite like the fun diversion of a showy Act II opener.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Flynn wrote:
I like having "Arbiter's Song" at the top of Act II, honestly. It's silly and pointless, but Chess needs some silliness (the Broadway version especially), and there's just not a good place for the song during the opening ceremony business in the Broadway script (at least not without cutting "Merchandisers", which I really hate to lose).

I can totally understand productions that don't do it and just go straight into Hungary, but I do quite like the fun diversion of a showy Act II opener.

This is a really good illustration of something that I think some composers don't take into consideration and that is the importance of light songs to balance out primarily dark shows.

Last bumped by Apples2for10 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:46 pm.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]