The Resource For Musicals

Chess Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Chess Danish Tour cast album - Orchestrator? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Chess Danish Tour cast album - Orchestrator?
Hi there. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me find out who did the orchestrations on the 2001/2 Danish "Complete Cast Album" recording. I've looked everywhere on the booklet but can't find it anywhere. The Swedish CD has it prominently displayed on the back but not the Danish cast CD. Thanks in advance! (Not surprisingly, the Swedish orchestrations by Andersson and Eljas are far superior to the Danish tour version, I think.)

Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:13 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
Post Re: Chess Danish Tour cast album - Orchestrator?
I'm about 99% confident the Danish tour orchestrations are just the original London orchestrations- the only differences I've picked out are the different keyboard patches being used- in which case the orchestrator was Anders Eljas (who also handled the Broadway orchestrations).

Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks for replying. That really surprises me considering how very different the orchestrations are in the Danish version. Many small but significant changes, especially in the vocal arrangements. (For example, the last sung note of the entire show, Florence's reprise of Anthem that adds that horrible, screechy high octave to end the song. Yuck! Really ruins the moment for me.) Anyway, it's frustrating that the booklet seems to include every single other credit except for the orchestrations. Arrgh!

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:37 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
Yeah, except for the changes in the vocal lines (which has more to do with the performances and musical direction than it does the orchestrater, I think), I don't believe the Danish orchs are all that different from London, though I'm admittedly not hugely familiar with the London score as printed. Like I said, the only real difference I've noted in listening are the keyboard patches, which more often go with general piano sounds than what's usually suggested in the score (and can be heard in the London production audios).

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I found a link on these boards to someone's site that pretty much confirms what you said, that it's the London orchestrations. I'll have to give it a closer listen, it sounded pretty different to my ear. (I still prefer the original lyrics over all the tinkering Rice has done through the years.)

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]