The Resource For Musicals

Chess Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Chess setup for "How Many Women" 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
Post Chess setup for "How Many Women"
So anyone familiar with the Broadway book- in the scene for "How Many Women", Florence traps Freddie with a series of moves that she apparently learned from someone who saw Sergievsky escape from it in an older chess match.

Anyone know if there's any info on if there was ever a decided notion to what that set-up is, or if there's a real-life precedent it's referencing? The script is frustratingly vague on this point and it seems like it's the sort of thing that should be specified for amateur productions- what exactly the moves are beyond "pawn down, Freddie moves the bishop, Florence moves the knight".

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Chess setup for "How Many Women"
Sorry for the delay. The setup is pretty much the same in the London book as well, but basically Florence is sick of the publicity regarding her relationship with Anatole, who wants to solely focus on chess. More importantly, this sets up “I Know Him So Well” because “How Many Women” ends with Anatole calling his wife.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:52 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I am assuming that you are asking about how the pieces are arranged on the board? She mentions that it's a move Korchnoi used, but I suspect that is simply a nod by Nelson to Korchnoi being one of the inspirations for Anatoly.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:12 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
Yeah, how the pieces are arranged. I suppose I could look up matches with the moves specified, though I doubt it'd turn up anything specific (does she mention it's Korchnoi? I just remember her being taught by someone who saw it in a "Sergievsky match", don't remember anything more specific than that).

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Yeah, you are right. I think I saw the reference to Korchnoi in a production, but it is not in the script.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:23 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

The actual chess moves were never published. I think there might have been one or two of the actual games from the London production in Hartston's Chess: the Making of the Musical, but on Broadway you never saw the actual board, so it was immaterial.

Anyway - the important move is KG3+ ! (or possibly ... KG3+ ! - it's not clear if Freddie is playing black or white.)

-Florence Vassy

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]