The Resource For Musicals

Chess Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Chess på Svenska English Translation 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Chess på Svenska English Translation
My dear friend solrosan has completed an English translation of the songs and dialogue in the 2003 Chess på Svenska DVD!
Her comments about it:

Quote:
This is an English translation of the DVD-released Chess på svenska, Chess in Swedish, which will hopefully be the basis of actual subtitles to said DVD.

The translator (solrosan) is native in Swedish and fluent in English but not, in any way, a professional translator, nor has she any knowledge of how to write or structure lyrics. The lyrics are therefore merely translated and not melody fitted. (And what would be the point of that since there is the entire original musical for that.) Since Swedish and English have different sentence structures the line breaks are placed to hopefully help convey the tone of the original Swedish lyrics. This might makes it look strange from time to time.

There are eleven footnotes in the document to explain Swedish cultural things that have been impossible for me to convey with English translation (e.g. Norse mythology references picked up by the early Swedish workers’ movement) or ambiguous Swedish words I’m not comfortable translating without at least giving you the possible second translation (e.g. Is Florence and Freddie actually married in Chess på svenska?).

Feel free to contact me for questions, comments and/or discussions.

I hope you will enjoy it.

It can be found in PDF format here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!uYUC1ArQ!cJMhQ0SYLXn5L2--FeLgKRbrhko0vfFcxr5hwTWAsug

I know this is one of those perennial requests, so I hope this helps :) Happy reading!

Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:57 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
Post Re: Chess på Svenska English Translation
In addition, subtitles have been created now, for those who were interested in obtaining those.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

The subtitles were, in fact, created from solrosan's original PDF text (and edited for length) by bachpilot -- see her original post re subtitles here. And her original post about the PDF, which I should probably have linked in the first post, is here.

Happy watching, everyone! :)

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:40 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

The above link is dead...here's a new one: https://mega.nz/#!x5MWDTxK!0Q-f5UFyyhGT ... X4m78p8Hv0

Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]