Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
New yak Victoria wig 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: CATS the Musical!
Main Role: Costume Designer
Post New yak Victoria wig
Going to post progress pics of my new Victoria hand-ventilated Yak Hair wig. More coming up as I SLOWLY work on it. Going to ventilate the whole thing. Mixing Yak with Kanekalon. Its pretty slow going as I have to use my glasses to see the wig lace holes, but that's the fun of getting older. LOL! More yak hair coming in soon. It ventilates funny....very picky on how you use it, plus it's CRAZY EXPENSIVE! The knots are loose with this larger lace and not very attractive. Mixing the two is giving me a kick-ass authentic "look!" Very pleased with it. But also the mix is saving me money too as the yak is so hard to get in this country, and the stuff some sellers have on Ebay is not the right kind, from the belly of the yak. Plus it has to be dyed as most sellers only offer black, white, and some brown. Most of the yak hair sellers are from China, impossible to get.

This is going to be an awesome looking wig when she's all done. Its for the rental package. Going to take me months of work. But challenging, joyful work.

Here is the first sideburn halfway done:

More to come later on as I get my butt in gear and sit down some more. ](*,) It's like pulling teeth. You have to have extreme patience! It's a learning curve but FUN!

Purrs,
VTWC

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:19 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: New yak Victoria wig
So so sweet! \:D/ But so :crazy: expensive!

Purrs,
VTWC
Back to ventilating....

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:34 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Just a quick pic. From the Tumble wig. Ventilated too much hair into it and had to scrap the project. It's crazy how you have to get the amount JUST RIGHT....or a major screw-up. At least Kan is cheap! All learning though. Fun....

Purrs,
VTWC
That's understudy London Mungo authentic wig in the background if anyone's interested.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:40 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Still "chunking in." More pics to come soon. Have almost the whole front done.

Purrs,
VTWC

Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:12 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

"Chunking In" the left side of the Victoria Wig. Yak and Synthetic hair mix. Around 8 hours of work ventilating so far. Took around 6 hours sewing in the lace on the cap and fashioning it. 14 hours work to date.

Purrs,
VTWC

Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:39 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Front almost done. Having to try to restrain myself from knotting in too much hair. It's a tricky business. Put in too much and it poofs. Too little and its shows bare spots. Left side you can see less hair, the rightt side, too much. Which means I'll have to take some out, add some in. Very hard. Think I'm adding in way too much hair and am going to do less knotting in, even though there will be bare spots. Had this problem with the Tumble wig too, adding in too much hair.

Working up toward the left ear. Yak and Synthetic hair, ventilated. 16 hours work. :lol:

Purrs,
VTWC

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:16 am

Current Obsession: Fanfiction - CATS
Just to let you know that I am watching the thread, and noting the progressing adventure. I never knew how detailed such items could be since costuming was not a key part of my theater experience (I was into lighting and stagecraft). Thanks for showing your work.

Rumblepurr
The "Old" Writer Cat.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:42 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Thanks Rumblepurr, taking a break right now from the endless tedious knotting to change over work on the new Tumble wig. Here tis....

This one will be front knotted and the rest glued. Just synthetic hair, no yak. This took me only 5 hours of work. Yes, I'm getting much much faster now. ;)

Purrs,
VTWC

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]