Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Acting Out's CATS on YouTube 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: CATS the Musical!
Main Role: Costume Designer
Post Acting Out's CATS on YouTube
Link to the full show on YouTube of "Acting Out's" production of CATS this summer.

Act One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwfuOuMq0-Q

Act Two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pz2ykhVGi4

A nicely done production, I think. Not sure about the portrayal of Grizabella though.

Purrs,
VTWC

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
Post Re: Acting Out's CATS on YouTube
Those costumes look like they were made by someone from the CCDB. They certainly aren't bad, but they don't work for the stage imo.

I feel kinda bad for some of these theater companies, because you can tell that they put their blood, sweat, and tears into these Cats productions, but it almost never works. You really can't replicate this show from scratch. Every aspect has to be pretty close to perfection, or else the magic just isn't there.

Thoughts?

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Current Obsession: Fanfiction - CATS
Cptn. Wazoo wrote:
I feel kinda bad for some of these theater companies, because you can tell that they put their blood, sweat, and tears into these Cats productions, but it almost never works. You really can't replicate this show from scratch. Every aspect has to be pretty close to perfection, or else the magic just isn't there.

Thoughts?

After seeing the show live, and experiencing the show from almost the front row, I cannot see this production any other way. Movies and animated films just do not capture the choreography, which is the most central point of its spectacle. As for the costumes and makeup, they are part of the identity of the characters. Put them into other colors and patterns, and you lose them very quickly. Another thing I have noticed that really helps make a regional work is how much time they put into learning what it is to BE a cat.... Like, 'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing...'

My buck-twenty-five worth,
Rumblepurr
The "Old" Writer Cat

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's mostly a matter of experience with the specifics, since the costumes are unlike the majority of most theatre costumes.

(I was the designer's assistant for this one.)

Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:42 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
I definitely agree Rumplepurr, I've watched so many clips on YouTube of regional productions that look like they were directed by people who have never actually seen a professional production of Cats. It honestly amazes me how bad some of the choreography is. It shows in the choreography when the director lacks an understanding of the show; there's a lack of cat-like grace, agility, and personality. But maybe I have unreasonably high expectations because I've only ever seen the SoCal regionals, which have some of the most talented dancers in the Los Angeles area. Maybe in other parts of the country where some of these productions are, they don't have quite the assortment of dancers.

I like that UK Alonzo is there. That's pretty cool!

Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:35 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Cats
Main Role: Costume Designer
Mungojerrie_rt wrote:
It's mostly a matter of experience with the specifics, since the costumes are unlike the majority of most theatre costumes.

(I was the designer's assistant for this one.)

That must have been really cool to be the designer's assistant. I was one of the designer's assistant for the original FCLOs cats costume. I still have not had a chance to see this yet.

Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]