The Resource For Musicals

Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Cats in Korea 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Cats in Korea
Wow guys, it's been ages. I was an active member on this forum maybe 6 or 8 years ago - my last log-in prior to today was apparently in 2009, if that's any indication of how long it's been. I remember back then one of the things that was always interesting was seeing people post pictures from the world productions, so you could compare casts, costumes and characters. I don't know if anyone still does that - I don't even know if anyone even still uses this forum - but recently I had the good fortune of seeing a production of Cats near where I live in South Korea and I thought I'd share my photos.

I'm not sure whether to call this a world tour or an Asian tour or a Korean tour or what. I know this tour played in several cities in Korea, and recently returned from a season in Singapore/Macau. It's run by Seol & Company, but the cast appears to be from all over, including Korea, South Africa, England and Australia. The Korean Times did an English article about it here with some cast interviews.

Some interesting things of note:
  • The production was entirely in English, with Korean subtitles broadcast on TVs to sidestage. The only Korean occurred in Moments of Happiness - wherein poor Sillabub was given the arduous task of memorizing her entire verse in Korean - and in random, one-line moments by Rum Tum Tugger, such as saying the Korean for "no" when dumping Bombalurina, etc.
  • In Pekes and Pollicles, "heathen Chinese" was changed to "winsome Chinese" and, mercifully, "ch***s" was changed to "pirates" in Growltiger's Last Stand.
  • However, Grizabella remained the "Glamour Cat," despite "glamour" being the Korean word for large breasts.
  • Mungojerrie's actor seemed to be doing an Eric Cartman impersonation for Genghis, I suppose to keep from offending any East Asians with a poor and stereotyped East Asian accent.
  • I thought for sure they'd change it all to a uniform accent to make it easier for Koreans to understand, but all the characters kept up their accents - Bustopher Jones was RP British, Rumpleteazer dipped into Russian for the cook's dialogue, Munkustrap read Blue Bonnets in Scottish, same as usual.
  • There was more audience interaction than I was used to in American productions. Unfortunately, I didn't see all of it, because I was sitting up on the balcony, but, for example, Sillabub came out to the balcony during intermission and stole cell phones to take selfies.
  • I wonder if Munkustrap was injured or ill, because he had less choreography than I'm used to. He was the one to lift Demeter away from Macavity during the fight scene choreography, and Alonzo took over the rest of the fight.
  • Despite being listed as separate characters in the cast bill, Carbucketty and Jemima didn't get their character's pictures in the cast list.
  • This production's Rumpleteazer, Dominique Hamilton, is the daughter of the original Australian Rumpleteazer, Laura Bishop.
  • The actress who plays Sillabub, Stephanie Silcock, appears to be married to the actor who plays Mungojerrie, Brent Osborne. She mentions him in her performer's bio. He does not mention her. Oops.

And now the pictures. The scan quality isn't the best, which I apologize for. If you'd like to see anything in a better quality scan, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Also please double-check my labels and help with the ones I'm missing, as I found the tom characters especially hard to distinguish. Bonus points if you can find me Olivia, Carbucketty, Jemima, Quaxo or Admetus.

Alonzo and Demeter
Bombalurina and Demeter
Bombalurina, Demeter and Jellylorum
Cassandra
Coricopat and Tantomile
Coricopat, Tantomile, and Sillabub
Coricopat, Tantomile, and Victoria
Electra
Full Cast
Grizabella
Grizabella and Old Deuteronomy
Growltiger's Crew
Growltiger and Crew
Growltiger and Griddlebone
Gus and Jellylorum
Jellylorum, Sillabub?, Olivia?, Skimbleshanks, and Pouncival?
The Junkyard
Macavity
Misoffelees
Mistoffelees, Rumpleteazer, Sillabub?
Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer
Mungojerrie, Rumpleteazer, Bombalurina, Tantomile, Victoria
Munkustrap and Old Deuteronomy
Munkustrap, Jellylorum, and Sillabub?
Plato
Pouncival, Alonzo, Mistoffelees, Bustopher Jones, Skimbleshanks, Tumblebrutus
Rum Tum Tugger
Rumpleteazer, Victoria, Sillabub?
Rumpus Cat
Siamese
Sillabub
Skimbleshanks
Skimbleshanks, Sillabub, Mungojerrie, Rumpleteazer, George?, Victoria
The Train
Victoria
In-Costume Headshots
In-Costume Headshots
In-Costume Headshots

I'll work on getting the cast bios up too, if anyone's interested.

On the whole, I was extremely impressed by this production. There were a few places where the singing could have been stronger, or where the dancing looked a little tired. And I wasn't a huge fan of Tugger. But on the whole, it was amazing, a rush back to everything that made me love this show in the first place. Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer were especially strong, as was Gus/Growltiger, in both roles. I wish I could have seen it every night it was on! Next time. In the meanwhile, feel free to ask me anything about this production/South Korea/Cats. I've missed it all much more than I thought.

Edit: Oh God, my banner. I'm not sure whether to be horrified or retroactively proud.

Last edited by Alonza0 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:19 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Cats in Korea
Hi,

Yeah it's been a while and the forum is no longer the good place it used to be. More a place to complain about the "crap" new Cats versions... the reason why I don't post anything more about the upcoming Paris production ;)

Thanks for sharing all these information, if you get the Sillabub performer bio (+ maybe picture), I'd be very grateful, I'm still trying to update my website with these information.

Jemima57

Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:52 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I didn't expect it to be and I'm almost glad it isn't. I have absolutely no idea what I might have said that would have warranted 500 posts, nor can I imagine writing another 500.

You've got one Sillabub scan, coming right up. I'll have use of my work printer again sometime later this week. Would you like both Sillabub and Jemima, or just Sillabub? And is this for a collection? I can scan some of my old playbills too the next time I'm at my parents' house, if you like.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:33 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Cats
Main Role: Costume Designer
Do you have any good shots of Olivia?

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:43 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just the headshot. It's possible she's visible in another picture, but all I have to go on is the face for identification, so your guess is as good as mine as to which she is.

Last edited by Alonza0 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:39 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Cats
I'm also looking for pictures of Demeter and Electra

Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:45 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Alright, let me see. Actually, for Olivia, this might be her between Sillabub and Skimbleshanks in this picture. I'm trying to compare faces/wigs. She's a little far away, but the wig doesn't match Electra, Bombalurina, or Demeter and the make-up doesn't look like Jennyanydots.

The only good shot I have of Electra is the one I put up there under her name, this one. And for Demeter, this and this are your best bets. I'll see if either character appears in any of the other shots, but I think they're all labeled fairly accurately.

Just character photos right, not cast bios? And are you collecting? Same offer for Jemima57 if you are, if you're looking for something in particular I'll see what's in my playbills next time I'm home.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:12 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Thanks for those lovely pictures :)

Jemima57 wrote:
More a place to complain about the "crap" new Cats versions...
Well, it's not that there isn't any reason for us to complain ;)

Quote:
I'm not sure whether to call this a world tour or an Asian tour or a Korean tour or what. I know this tour played in several cities in Korea, and recently returned from a season in Singapore/Macau. It's run by Seol & Company, but the cast appears to be from all over, including Korea, South Africa, England and Australia. The Korean Times did an English article about it here with some cast interviews.
It's an Asian Tour as it has only been appearing in Asian countries. They have Asian, Australian and British cast members though :)

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:33 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

How awesome that you got to see this tour. And thank you so much for the program scan. Some of the cast members I've seen before, and they're amazing. Especially James Cooper's Plato/Macavity.

To answer some of your questions:

The tour stated out with mostly Australian/South African cast members, doing the Australian version fo the show, with the Australian production team, but picked up cast from other places on the way. They're due in Australia from September.

Alonzo has always done three quarters of the Macavity fight in the Australian version, with Munkustrap dropping out early.

The lyric changes in Peke and Growltiger have been standard around the world for a while.

Carbucketty and Jemima are the resident Director and Choreographer, and as such, don't have their own costumes. They're the backup swings, and will go in one of the other swing/chorus costumes if they're on to fill out the ensemble, rather than covering a specific role. For example, in 2009 I saw Jemima go on wearing Electra's costume, still listed as Jemima, when Electra was covering Victoria and Olivia was covering Tantomile, so they needed the extra chorus on.

http://i.imgur.com/kdP6brj.jpg This is Alonzo, not Munkutrap. Apart from that, you seem to have gotten all of the swing cats right :)

http://i.imgur.com/P1CStFb.jpg Interesting that they decided to use a picture of Shaun Rennie from 2007, rather than a new one.

Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:45 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Jemima57, sorry for the delay, but here is the bio for Sillabub and here is the bio for Jemima, just in case you want it. Unless anyone else has a request, I think I'll save the spine of my poor program and refrain from scanning the rest of the bios.

Mungojerrie_rt, thanks for all the info, especially the label correction. Of all the characters to mislabel. I feel like I've shamed my ancestors.

James Cooper is actually no longer in the role of Plato/Macavity - he's been swapped to Coricopat. Mitchell Mahony now has that distinction. That could explain a lot actually, if the change was relatively recent. Part of my impression that Alonzo's role in the fight was a substitution rather than planned choreography was that the whole thing seemed a little sloppy, which could be down to newness if the role change was recent? Or, then again, it could just be that I've seen the show so many times that my standards are exact lol.

I'd anticipated that their respective offstage roles were the reason Jemima and Carbucketty didn't get headshots, but I had no idea they also didn't have costumes. What's the point of giving them individual character names, then, if there's no costume to go with the character? Surely if they're called onstage to fill a role, it'd make more sense to say, "in this performance, so-and-so is playing the role of Olivia?" Pure semantics, I suppose, but I'm nothing if not pedantic.

Actually, maybe you can help me with something. In the full cast shot, I've been trying to identify who's who and I'm not positive on the ID of the character to the far left next to Sillabub. No one in the cast headshots seems to have a wig with a big black tuft on the right ear like that. Young Grizabella is, I think, between Jellylorum and Coricopat in the back, but this is, I think, a man anyway, right? My best guess based on the make-up is Tumblebrutus, but if that's the case, then it appears he's got the wrong wig on.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:29 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's definitely Tumblebrutus on the far left there. It doesn't look to me like black in the wig, but just shadow in the lighting.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:45 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: CATS the Musical!
Thanks for posting the awesome pics! I have this brochure and its wonderful with all the pics and stuff. Wish the US would put out a better looking brochures, and change them up yearly.

Just looking at the pics has me drooling over the arm and legwarmers. I love how they seem to be knitted in mohair, my favorite to work with. I love Demeter's warmers so much!

Thanks for posting these!

Purrs,
VTWC

Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next