Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Palos Verdes CATS Photo Diary 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: CATS the Musical!
Main Role: Costume Designer
Post Palos Verdes CATS Photo Diary
Just wanted to show some pics that I've gotten of the Palos Verdes shows. Its been so long to do a review but I loved this cast! They were extremely talented and great performers. I tried to pick the most quirky and unique photos from the lot so I tried to give some sort of flavor to how the show was staged in the pics. Most of the pics I got were from long shots, front and center which looked pretty boring and far off. However, since the house was so small when you watched the show it was like you were right on top of them onstage. A very awesome sense of intimacy between the actors and audience. The only quibble I have was with the lighting design. Most of the pics are washed out color-wise with a lot of yellow, purples, and blues. I tried to find the best ones to share. So this will be a mini-review and photo diary of the show. Wish I could find some videos of Memory and the Jellicle Ball in performance. The cast was so talented and professional for such a small theatre and a regional show. Awesome voices and dancing too.

So to start here are the pics. Ed Krieger Photography. Ed mostly does a lot of press photos for various productions around the So Cal area. He also did the Cabrillo photography of CATS as well. I forget who did Musical Theatre West's photographs. I wish I could get the press cd for those too.

So here goes:

Outside of the Norris Center for the Performing Arts, Rolling Hills, CA. Poster.

Program

Fullerton Civic Light Opera's stage set. Most of the recent CATS productions rent this set and props. It's the best one out there for regionals and everybody wants to use it. (Hello, Rumblepurr! ;-)

What did I say about the purple lighting? ;-)

Another stage set view.

On press night, the stage. See the intimacy factor between stage and audience? The theatre was so small and TINY!

Jellicle Songs. Bombalurina (Rachel Davis)

Full cast, "Viat"

Full Cast. Naming of Cats.

Invitation to the Jellicle Ball. Victoria (Juliana Sanez) Mistoffelees (Jake DuPree)

Invitation to the Jellicle Ball. Munkustrap (Bill Ledesma)

Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:50 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Palos Verdes CATS Photo Diary
Gumbie Cat. Demeter (Amber Sky-Skipps), Jellylorum (Kirklyn Robinson), Bombalurina (Rachel Davis), Munkustrap (Bill Ledesma)
Gumbie (Melissa Glasgow).

Mice. Gumbie (Melissa Glasgow)

Munkustrap (Bill Ledesma), Jellylorum, Kirkly Robinson), Bombalurina (Rachel Davis), Demeter (Amber Sky-Skipps)

"Ouch, that hurts!" Gumbie Cat. Gumbie (Melissa Glasgow), Munkustrap (Bill Ledesma)

Rum Tum Tugger. Tugger (Joel Abelson) Cassandra (Kimberly Sklow)

Rum Tum Tugger. Tugger (Joel Abelson)

Rum Tum Tugger. Tugger (Joel Abelson), Victoria (Juliana Sanez), Etcetera (Raige Sealey), Sillabub (Bailey Sonner)

Rum Tum Tugger. Tugger (Joel Abelson) Bombalurina (Rachel Davis)

Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:58 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Rum Tum Tugger. Tugger (Joel Abelson) Cast.

Rum Tum Tugger. Tugger (Joel Abelson) Cast.

Grizabella, the Glamour Cat. Demeter (Amber Sky-Skipps), Grizabella (Gina D'Acciaro)

Bustopher Jones. Tumblebrutus (Brandon Halvorsen) Sillabub (Bailey Sonner) Victoria (Juliana Sanez) Skimbleshanks (Jon M. Wallin) Bustopher (Jason M. Hammond)
Pouncival (Arielle Meads) Etcetera (Paige Sealey) Munkustrap (Bill Ledesma) Jellylorum (Kirklyn Robinson) Alonzo (Andrew Soto)

Bustopher Jones. Victoria (Juliana Sanez) Sillabub (Bailey Sonner) Cassandra (Kimberly Sklow) Etcetera (Paige Sealey) Jennyanydots (Melissa Glasgow) Pouncival (Arielle Meads)

Bustopher Jones. Bustopher (Jason M. Hammond) Sillabub (Bailey Sonner) Victoria (Juliana Sanez) Pouncival (Arielle Meads)

Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer. Rumpleteazer (Alison Boresi) Mungojerrie (Steven Rada)

Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer. Rumpleteazer (Alison Boresi) Mungojerrie (Steven Rada)

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:08 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Jellicle Ball. Old Deuteronomy (Robert L. Hoyt) Victoria (Juliana Sanez) Sillabub (Bailey Sonner)

Jellicle Ball. Full Cast.

Jellicle Ball. Full Cast

Jellicle Ball, Mating Dance. Yes, the couple this time was Misto with Victoria. I thought there were "purr-fect" together. ;-)
Mistoffelees (Jake DuPree) Victoria (Juliana Sanez) (Yes, I have a lot of pics with Victoria in them.)

Jellicle Ball, Mating Dance. Mistoffelees (Jake DuPree) Victoria (Juliana Sanez)

Jellicle Ball, Mating Dance. Mistoffelees (Jake DuPree) Victoria (Juliana Sanez)

Little Memory. Grizabella (Gina D'Acciaro)

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:14 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Little Memory. Grizabella (Gina D'Acciaro)

Moments of Happiness. The Twins came out first and just looked at the audience just sitting
and purring and sitting. Staring, staring, staring. ;-) Too cute! Tantomile (Erin Umphenour) Coricopat (Eric Taylor)

Moments of Happiness. Sillabub (Bailey Sonner) Coricopat (Eric Taylor)
Tantomile (Erin Umphenour)
Old Deuteronomy (Robert L. Hoyt)

Gus, the Theatre Cat. Asparagus (Jason M. Hammond) Jellylorum (Kirklyn Robinson)

Gus, the Theatre Cat. Jellylorum (Kirklyn Robinson)

Growltigers Last Stand. Griddlebone (Kirklyn Robinson) Pirate Crew. Griddle is wearing the FCLO
costume and they rented the whole Growltiger set to pair with my costumes. As you can see, Kirklyn
was kinda full-figured and could not fit into my Griddle costume. So they rented FCLO's instead.

Growltiger's Last Stand. Thats the FCLO Growltiger costume, not mine. Growltiger (Jason M. Hammond) Griddlebone
(Kirklyn Robinson)

Growltiger's Last Stand. Siamese Cats. Ghengis (Eric Taylor) These are my costumes for the Siamese and Ghengis.

Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat. Skimbleshanks (Jon. M. Wallin) Tumblebrutus
(Brandon Halvorsen) Cassandra (Kimberly Sklow) Mungojerrie (Steven Rada)
Rumpleteazer (Alison Boresi) Sillabub (Bailey Sonner) Etcetera (Paige Sealey) Old Dueteronomy
(Robert L. Hoyt) Bombalurina (Rachel Davis)
Tantomile (Erin Umphenour)

Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat. Skimbleshanks (Jon M. Wallin) Coricopat (Eric Taylor) Mistoffelees (Jake DuPree)

Macavity the Mystery Cat. Bombalurina (Rachel Davis)

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:28 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Macavity the Mystery Cat. Demeter (Amber Sky-Skipps) Bombalurina (Rachel Davis)

Mr. Mistoffelees. Mistoffelees (Jake DuPree) Full Cast.

Mr. Mistoffelees. Mistoffelees (Jake DuPree) Full Cast.

Mr. Mistoffelees. Mistoffelees (Jake DuPree) Love this shot! I have so few pics of Misto closing the light.

The Journey to the Heaviside Layer. Cassandra (Kimberly Sklow) Tugger (Joel Abelson) Old Deuteronomy (Robert L. Hoyt)
Tantomile (Erin Umphenour) Grizabella (Gina D'Acciaro) Coricopat (Eric Taylor) Asparagus (Jason M. Hammond)
Bombalurina (Rachel Davis) Rumpleteazer (Alison Boresi)

The Journey to the Heaviside Layer. Full Cast. They didn't use the fog for the press photos so the cast
could be seen properly. Or they didn't have it set up to fog that night.

The Addressing of Cats. Old Deteronomy (Robert L. Hoyt) Full Cast. Most of the shots on the CD are of this long-shot view.

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:36 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Now for some close up shots that I got. Here are some of Victoria's Solo Dance which are very nice!

Victoria's Solo Dance. Victoria (Juliana Sanez)

Victoria's Solo Dance. Victoria (Juliana Sanez) Why he didn't get the famous "V" sit, I don't know!

Munkustrap (Billl Ledesma)

Tugger (Joel Abelson)

Grizabella (Gina D'Acciaro)

Tugger (Joel Abelson)

Old Deuteronomy

Kittens. Tumblebrutus (Brandon Halvorsen) Jellylorum (Kirklyn Robinson) Etcetera (Paige Sealey)

And that's it for the professional photo gallery! To be continued in last post.

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:43 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

After the show on May 9th, which I saw with Capt Wazoo and Rumblepurr, we got to meet some of the cast who came out into the lobby to meet friends and family.

Me with Victoria (Juliana Sanez)

Me with Sillabub (Bailey Sonner)

Capt Wazoo with Victoria (Juliana Sanez)

Capt Wazoo with Sillabub (Bailey Sonner)

Me with Mistoffelees (Jake DuPree)

Sillabub (Bailey Sonner) and Bombalurina (Rachel Davis)

And FINALLY, for Rumblepurr......

Rumblepurr with Victoria (Juliana Sanez)

I hope you all enjoyed this photo diary of the show! Hope to see more productions in So Cal in the near future!

Purrs,
VTWC

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:49 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Wonderful photos.

(Psst...any video, by chance?)

Edit: I just read the opening post. Silly me for immediately scrolling through the photos. I assumed you had taken them, but I see now you've give credit to Ed Krieger. Still, thanks for sharing those.

I wish at least some snippets or video clips of the show were available online. Some productions will do that, but the two I've seen (San Diego Musical Theatre and Palos Verdes Performing Arts) have not...at least I haven't found any.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:46 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Haven't found any video clips from either of those shows, (San Diego, and Palos Verdes). Although I do have a vid from La Mirada that's excellent!

Purrs,
VTWC

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]