Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Not renting my CATS costumes anymore 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: CATS the Musical!
Main Role: Costume Designer
Post Not renting my CATS costumes anymore
Well, I've finally done it. When the cast performs at Palos Verdes this April-May, I've decided to quit while I'm ahead and give the rental set a rest. This is the last time my costumes will be up onstage. 11 more shows. I'm doing this to save on wear and tear on the costumes and also because this business has become way too stressful for me. I keep getting requests almost every 2 weeks for the rental set to go out, from high schools, to dance classes, and I just can't keep denying requests anymore. I feel compelled to rent, but I'm very selective on who gets the costumes. Mostly past cast members who know the show well have gotten my set to use.

This way the costumes will be finally added to my permanent collection and won't be abused so much anymore. Considering all the rentals I've done the costumes have held up very very well! The companies are taking good care of the set and people aren't abusing the stuff too much. They all realize the quality put into the set and are treating it accordingly. But however, I can't do it anymore due to health reasons, as I've taken a turn for the worse in my health and have to stop doing it.

I'm really sorry that the regionals now have to rely on the FCLO set and some others after this rental goes out. I'm sorry that the quality of some of the shows we have to see now well be reduced in terms of the costuming. Get ready to see a lot of the FCLO costumes after I close up shop.

I always thought that the Troika company should start renting out their CATS stuff. They rent out for some other musicals on their website and I truly wish that they would release their CATS things. They have over 12 years of costumes to offer. So until Troika starts renting you'll all have to make due. But maybe in the next few years, CATS will be on their roster.

I hope that you guys enjoyed seeing my work onstage and I really appreciate all the well wishes too. It was a labor of love to make this show, over 4 years of constant work and I'm glad to know that I will be leaving on a high point. I will still costume as a hobby, but for right now I want to get back to doing creative work that doesn't involve CATS like my painting, sketching, and journaling. I want to go in other directions now creatively.

Thanks for all the kind comments, guys!

Purrs,
VTWC

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]