Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Not happy about the changes! 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: CATS the Musical!
Main Role: Costume Designer
Post Not happy about the changes!
Can I just say that I'm not happy about the changes to CATS after it's debut at the London Palladium? Most of it is costume-wise that I'm upset about.

The new Growltiger costumes put me in mind of Oliver Twist instead of Pirates. I'm also not sure about the new Gus wig too. I would love for them to bring back the old costumes and not change a classic.

Also Demeter and Jemima got new wigs too. There is also the addition of "Victor" back into the cast? There is one male cat that I'm not used to seeing. Not sure who he is.

And the Tugger costume, need I say more? Just how awful it is. I tried to have an open mind but it's just not doing it for me. I miss the old "Rockstar" look.

I wish these changes had never been made. I want to keep CATS "classic!"

Purrs,
VTWC

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:45 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Not happy about the changes!
The new cats is named Pouncival, yet wearing a George design. In the pictures, they've also got a swing wearing Victor, and a swing wearing what looks like a US Pouncival.

It seems that a lot of the wigs have had their colours muted, but Jemima and Demeter suffered the worst.

I actually like the new Grizabella, although the wig could do with some work, but the design of her is something I have been wanting to see for a long time; the original sketch of corset and stockings, with no dress.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:05 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
I'm going to be honest, I think the makeup designs are ugly too :S The colors are too light and boring.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:17 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Quote:
There is also the addition of "Victor" back into the cast? There is one male cat that I'm not used to seeing. Not sure who he is.
George is back in the show, his name is Pouncival now.

All the other additional cats - Electra, Young Griz, old Pouncival and Victor - are swings dressed up as Cats to make the ensemble look huge. They are not part of the show (not even young Griz)

Quote:
It seems that a lot of the wigs have had their colours muted, but Jemima and Demeter suffered the worst.
Bomba is also awful since they replaced the red parts in the wigs with brown.

Make ups haven't changed that much, except Macavity and Grizabella

Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]